Thursday, January 7, 2010

A student is (re)born.

Here I am.

I survived my marathon work/school/work and now snow day, and I've managed to get the kids out of the house and into the snow for at least 15 minutes. Time enough for a quick blog update.

Tuesday was my first night of class.

American Cinema, which counts as my American History credit. I wasn't sure what to think about the class description, but once we met the professor ("call me Pete, not Dr. Bender"), I was hooked.

He loves his subject. He is excited to teach this class of thirty-something nurses a bit about American film. And though I can't speak for the rest of them, I am excited to be there.

Opening a crisp new notebook and putting pen to paper, jotting notes while watching this movie:

Discussing the movie afterward, noticing plots, subplots, hidden meanings and methods of cinematography...stimulating our brains and urging us to broaden our horizons and think outside the box.

I know these next two and a half years are going to be a lot of work. Papers, midterms, finals, clinicals. I'm sure there will be classes that I won't love (nursing theory and research, yuck). But sitting there in that classroom, I remember how much I love to learn. And I'm excited to be a student again, after all these years.

Several of you have said you are thinking of going back. I'm telling you: sign up for one class that sounds interesting. Get back in the classroom. See how much you love it. Then blog about it, 'kay? (Yes, Suzann and Rebecca, I'm talking to you!)

12 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

I hear ya friend!!! :) haha!!!

Love that you can take that for a American History class... awesome!!!

How you are doing it all, is simply amazing!! You go girl!!!

mama's smitten said...

It is pretty cool isn't it! I went back last summer. So far I have completed Chemistry , psychology, and Anamoty and Physiology. Next semester: Anatomy and a CNA class...Looking forward to following your new adventure!

HiHoOhio said...

First, can you believe this snow, silly....we even have a snow day over in Wyoming!!

As for school, proud of you friend! The class sounds GREAT!

Stay Warm!

CaraBee said...

What a great class! I wish they had offered that when I needed an history course.

I've never seen Citizen Kane. I should probably do a classic movie night.

Honorary Indian said...

I started my nursing career in 1991. In 1999 I went back to get my BSN. The difference between the two college experiences was like night and day. I LOVED SCHOOL the second time around! Of course, I was a full-time student with just a hubby--no kids yet--but I have no doubt you will love it, too.

And, yes. Nursing research SUCKS!

:-)

Brandy said...

Now THAT is one class I could totally get into too!

Stay warm!

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

That sounds like a fun class. I'm glad you are happy to be back in the classroom. So you got a snow day, eh.... Wasn't this the day you were all excited to have to yourself?

Cathy said...

Hi. I saw you in the comments of another blog and came over to visit. I was looking through your blog at some of the pictures and saw you with your mother-in-law. Guess what. I know her. I went to church with her and actually your husband too. Tell them Cathy Sempsrott said hi. Sure is a small world isn't it?

Cathy said...

Seems I had heard about Jill. Either through a blog or FB. I knew Bob & Kay had moved, but I didn't know where. So nice to meet you here in Bloggyland. Come back and visit at my blog anytime. I've signed on as a follower here, so I'm sure I'll be back. Take care.

ChicagoLady said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your first day of class!

Suzann said...

Oh I'll be blogging about it for sure!

I'm praying that it will all happen in the fall.

For now, we have to be content with the gym.

Angela said...

Awesome! Sounds like a great class to start off with. And I agree, I love to learn. I hate being graded on things, but enjoy learning new stuff in almost any area!