Monday, September 14, 2009

Something nice to say...

You know the old saying, 'If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say anything at all'?

Yesterday at Sunday School, my women's group went around the circle introducing ourselves with directions to "say something nice about your husband".

Talk about being put on the spot!

My "something nice" about Joe was that he always takes good care of the lawn.

Since then, I have thought of other things. (It's good to focus on the positive!)

One thing that I love about Joe is his dedication to his job. After working in management for many years, about six years ago, Joe decided to make a change. He became a substitue teacher while earning his education degree and eventually became a high school math teacher.

He works for our county's alternative school, teaching troubled youth who are at their "last resort" school before getting kicked out altogether. You can imagine how challenging this must be. Despite the challenges, I never hear Joe complain (other than about waking up so early). He goes in five days a week, nine months a year, carrying his positive outlook to school with him, trying to make a difference in these kids' lives.

I'm so proud of him! He has chosen a career which allows him to spend lots of time with his family (afternoons, holidays, summer vacations), even though it doesn't pay a lot of money. And although more money would be nice, I'd rather have it this way anyday of the week.



Next time I'm put on the spot to say something nice, I'll be prepared...I'll just refer them to this blog post :)


Now it's your turn: go on, it feels great to be nice!

12 comments:

"The Queen in Residence" said...

I get to go first and be nice. Well personally never having met Joe, but from what you say he sounds like a GREAT GUY!!! I think we all need to celebrate the great guys in our lives....

I too hate to be put on the spot like that I always come up with really good ones hours later.....

Jen said...

You are right, it is a good thing to celebrate our husbands.

The Wife O Riley said...

What a nice post! Being put on the spot, it would be easier for me to come up with gripes about my husband.

CaraBee said...

Ha! I would probably say the same thing about the lawn if I were put on the spot. But really, my husband is just awesome. He lets me sleep in on weekends. He sends me flowers for no reason. He always puts me first. I am a lucky girl. Sounds like you are, too!

Good for Joe for following a dream. What an inspiration.

Melissa said...

I love this post, Heather. I need to do one for my hubby, too. He is a pastor and it is a very stressful job. I do love that he is a full time minister of the gospel and he spend all week studying God's word to teach to us.

brainella said...

How wonderful. :-) I hope you let him read this lovely post.

Jennifer said...

Excellent post! May do one of my own in a few days. :)

Rebecca Jo said...

That's funny that's the first thing that came to mind... hey, EVERYTHING is important... even the lawn!

I didnt realize he was a teacher... how super cool is that!!!

Suzann @ The Olive Cottage said...

Wow. Joe can stick around. : )

Gratitude is the fairest blossom which springs from the soul.

Love Ya Chicka.

Joe said...

Thank you for the kind words. I'm quite a bit happier doing this kind of work. I will most likely never be a morning person, but i will survive! I love my family and it's nice to get positive feedback.

brainella said...

Just to let you know, I tagged you. :-)

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

Wow. What an awesome husband, father, teacher, MAN!!!

You know teachers who teach at alternative schools have the biggest hearts!! That is a very tough job! He must have the patience of Job!

I enjoyed this post!!