The annual WEBN Fireworks production held on the banks of the Ohio River. Over forty minutes of incredible pyrotechnics set to music. Thousands of people crowded together to ooh and aah over each explosion.

Did I mention thousands of people?
The party usually starts before noon on Sunday, with people competing for the best spots to see the show and hear the music.The fireworks don't start until after dark, which these days isn't until after 9pm.
That's nine hours of partying before the party even starts.
Let's just say that by the time the first shower of sparks lights up the skyline, the ratio of sober to drunk goes from a 3:1 to about a 1:150.
I admit, I have been part of the partying crowd many times.
I have witnessed men peeing in the streets...

and a host of other things too crazy to mention on my mommy blog.
The question I have is this:
At what point was it that a night of drunken firework-and-men-peeing-in-the-streets-watching went from fun to, well, not so fun?
Driving downtown. Finding a parking space. Hauling the cooler and blankets and bug spray and jackets and snacks from said parking space through the city streets until you find the ultimate spot. Worrying about someone stealing your spot while you go drop a small fortune in the booths that line the river. Worrying about drinking too much and having to find a port-o-let without a mile-long line to pee in. Worrying about having to shield your child's eyes from the sights of men peeing in the streets. Finally getting to see the fireworks, only to have your child be scared to death of all the noise.
I haven't been to the fireworks since I had kids, simply to avoid the above scenario. A cookout with friends in our very uncrowded and uncrazy hometown sounds like a much better time.
Man, when did I get this old? I never thought this day would come...
10 comments:
I had no clue they did this in cinci
Yeah...the porto-potty would be the deal breaker there. It's not good. When did things get so complicated?!
mmm.. yeah... I've learned alot of things that I thought were fun or used to do... no thank you.. I'll stay at home now...
I was reading this and thinking, "Dude--awesome. But I'm too lazy to haul my family out for such as that!"
You agreed.
Dude, we're old. And cool. And awesome.
AMEN! (to staying home)
Well, I must be old as well. 'Cause I'd rather stay home than deal with all that!
That doesn't sound like even the tiniest bit of fun to me. These days, I pick a comfy chair, a clean toilet and a bottle of wine (not in that order) over the crowded festivities.
Seriously, though, where are those statues? Cause that is hysterical!
Yes, crowds freak my husband out so we'll be staying at home on Labor Day.
ok, the statues? hilarious!!!
You braved the crowds and DID this?!?!
WOW! I don't think you got old...I think you are just smart! Yes it was fun years ago when we were young and one of the drunks free to pee anywhere. Now I am so content to put the baby to bed early and watch it on tv:)
Post a Comment