Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What are they called?!

Scenario: A thirsty Gabe runs out of the Childwatch center of our YMCA, heading for the drinking fountain.

Which is blocked by two very senior citizens, having an intense conversation (about what, I'm not sure). They are oblivious to this boy's dire need for a cold drink of water.

Gabe looks at me for help. I tell him to politely say "excuse me", which he does.

The elderly man moves first. Gabe climbs up the stool, gets his drink, and walks away. The couple continue their conversation.

As we walk down the hall, Gabe is deep in thought. (I can tell, 'cause he's being really quiet.)

He says to me, "I said 'scuse me to that poor man. Oh, that poor man, Mommy. Did you see that poor man?"

I look back at the "poor man", to see if maybe he was using a cane or a walker or had an obvious disability. Nope, nothing I could see.

I ask Gabe why he called him a "poor man".

"Oh, Mommy, he was a poor man. He had crinkles all over him! Did you see those crinkles?!"

Of course, another woman is walking along side of us, listening to this entire conversation, cracking up at the last part. I come thisclose to peeing my pants, struggling to hold in the giggles.

I explain to Gabe that we all get crinkles when we get old. Whether we like it or not.

(And that's why God invented Botox.)

I will never think of crinkles, I mean wrinkles, without a giggle again.

18 comments:

Katy said...

oh bless him! I love hearing your stories about Gabe, he sounds like such a lovely sweet boy! Great to hear from you today.. I'm safe in Queensland, very far away from the bushfires

I can't wait to get Bella, such a great name! My husband doesn't even realise the Twilight connection, think i will keep that to myself! he might change his mind. I got my mum reading the books too.

I have a whole bunch of stuff i intend sending over, just need to get my act together.. sorry for being a slack arse!

Thanks for all your lovely comments :-)

WheresMyAngels said...

Oh I love it, how cute is that! Make sure you scrap that saying!

Tiffany said...

I hate crinkles. Poor me.

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

This made me SMILE!!!

Michelle said...

LMAO. It is so funny the things they notice.

Jen said...

now that is awesome! I am hoping to be lucky and not have any 'crinkles.' :)

Kori said...

Gosh I love that Gabe. He is awesome!

Rebecca Jo said...

that he was so worried about his crinkles.... how precious is that....

Melissa said...

Get that boy a contract for Last Comic Standing. We could use a little more good clean humor like that. I love the brilliant funnies of our kids....:)

Again, I'd kill for his tan....:)

mommy4life said...

Pretty cute.

Kim said...

That is so cute. He's right, though. The guy must have been poor or he could have gotten rid of some of those crinkles. I got me some crinkles too.

Lula! said...

CRINKLES!!!!!!

I love him. I do.

Remind me to get my Botox before May. So he doesn't see my Crinkles.

ChicagoLady said...

How cute! Kids are never afraid to say what's on their minds.

Unknown said...

Well, I have said it before and I'll say it again, that boy is just too cute for words and he looks so much like his big papa it is scary. Give all the kids big hugs and kisses for me. Love, Mom

Jenny and the Princess Peonies said...

That reminds.....I need some new crinkle cream...

You are going to scrap that right?!

Anonymous said...

So then are those supposed to be wrinkle fries in the freezer section then?

wife.mom.nurse said...

Out of the mouth of babes ") So cute!

Brings to mind that the other day my daughter noticed that I have crinkles (gee, I pointed it out inadvertently),I actually remember the day that I noticed my mom had crinkles, I always thought she was "old" after that ")

Good thing that you are too young to have crinkles ")

Stumbled on to your blog. It looks great, looking forward to following...

Suzann said...

Love that story from my favorite little dude! My daughter used to not like my mother-in-law (now none of us like her : ) ) because she was "crooked" her nana (my mom) wasn't crooked, why was grandma? Crooked was to be covered in deep wrinkles (which she is and my mother still is not - LOL)

Gotta love kids!