I've had several requests to blog about it, so girls (and Matt), here it is. Photos first, recipe at the end...
First, gather your ingredients. Minus the Cuties.

Next, place your chicken in a pot of water with some extra celery. You really need split chicken breasts with the skin on, or a whole chicken cut up, to make a good broth.

I use frozen onion, chop the celery with the leaves, and use a vegetable peeler to grate the carrot.

Saute your veggies for the last 15 minutes of your chicken cooking.

The hardest (and messiest) part of the whole recipe is deboning the chicken. Is that even a word? Sounds kind of, sexy...
Where was I?
Oh, yeah, after you debone the chicken and put it back in the pot, I simmer it for another ten or fifteen minutes (while the rolls or biscuits are cooking).
For the kids, I pour their bowls at least five minutes before calling them to dinner, and they still need an ice cube. This soup really holds its heat.
Ladle up and enjoy!
"Mom's Chicken Rice Soup" recipe
Ingredients:
A.) 2-4 large chicken breasts (skin on); 8 cups water; 1 tsp salt.
B.) 2 Tbsp oil; 1 large carrot, grated; 2 stalks celery with leaves, chopped; 1 med onion, diced; 2 Tbsp flour (before adding to soup).
C.) 1 cup long-grain rice (not instant); 1 tsp salt; 1/2 tsp pepper; 1/2 tsp thyme; 1 Tbsp lemon juice.
Bring (A) to a boil in a large soup pot, then simmer for approx 50 minutes.
When (A) is almost done, saute (B). Do not add flour yet.
When (A) is done, remove chicken and let cool. Remove 1 cup of broth. Add flour to (B), stirring well, then add broth. Stir until thickened, then add to pot.
Add (C) to pot, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for at least 20 minutes. Debone your chicken and add to soup (careful of the little bones).
I usually add a dash of celery salt, extra salt and extra pepper to my recipe. If you are a salt-a-holic like me, you'll want to do the same.
If you are lucky enough to have leftovers, this soup is even better the next day.
Enjoy!

10 comments:
oooooohhhhh Yummy! I must try this! You can never have to many soup recipes this time of year.
I love soup!! Gonna have to give this one a whirl Miss Heather.
We needed a new soup recipe. We've eaten the heck out of potato soup, vegetable stew, and chili...so I will definitely try this.
Will you come make it for me? I don't know how to debone.
That's what she said!
:)
p.s. Six inches, baby. Of snow. Not bones.
Yep....maybe this soup will go good with a snow day!
Thank you for posting this! I'm going to make it this weekend!! I've never sauteed the veggies first...I bet that really makes this soup taste good!!
Looks delish! I need a break from chicken 'n dumplings.
Don't say debone...the hubs is out of town:-)
Oh yum!!!
YUM! I love soup and this one sounds devine! Thanks for sharing!!
Does this make me famous? I just made a pot of the soup a couple of weeks ago. Even my granddaughter and the great-granddaughters loved it. At least I can pass something down to my children. You made my day and it was not turning out to be a good day but that changed when I read your blog. Thanks sweetie, Love, Mom
homemade soup...on a cold night... mmmm... can I just come over instead of having to make it :-)
Post a Comment