Saturday, February 7, 2009

Sixty-four

(Warning: tearjerker post ahead; tissues may be needed)

February 7th.

What would have been my dad's sixty-fourth birthday.

Four years ago, we celebrated with him for the last time. He had already been diagnosed with lung cancer and was getting ready to start chemo and radiation. He was feeling okay, and it was a good day.

I don't just want to dwell on the end, though.

I found some scrapbook pages that I wanted to share, so you could get a glimpse of the man who called me his "tiger". It's fitting, because the first two photos are pages from a scrapbook that I made for Dad on his birthday in 2001. It was a book filled with my memories of the two of us...


Senior year of high school. Love the big hair. Mine kept getting longer and thicker, Dad's kept getting shorter and gray-er. Good thing I was the last kid. Dad helped me buy my first car. It was no Corvette, but I loved it!

Fast forward four years. I graduated nursing school, got a job (much to Dad's relief, I'm sure, although he used to say I should join the Navy and be a Navy nurse...I don't know why), and met Joe. Dad was a quiet man, and he didn't usually give any advice, but he supported every single decision I ever made. I loved him for that.

The top photo is Dad surrounded by his two younger brothers, Dan and Tom. The bottom photo is one of my favorite, dancing at my wedding reception. I always did love how tall he was (6' 5"). Someone I could look up to, quite literally.


These next pages are from my family scrapbook. This was our last Easter together. Dad loved hiding the eggs for the kids, and the year before he even put gold $1 coins in each egg.

I love these photos for many reasons. Our last Easter together. Dad still feeling relatively good, despite the chemo. The way you can see just where Gabe got his olive complexion (Dad was this tan in March, folks, always). All three of my kids with both of my parents, smiling and content.


Finally, our last birthday with Dad, in 2005. I couldn't scan the whole page, thus the cut-off body parts...sorry. It took a long time for me to be able to make this page (a year), and I cried so hard that I cut my thumb with my paper-cutter and had to take a first-aid break. It was truly therapeutic for me, though, a way to deal with all the emotions of losing my dad. Kind of like this post.


Sixty is such a young age to die. I take care of eighty-year-olds all the time, and some days it makes me sad that we didn't get to have more time together. But you know, it was sixty good years, and I got to be there for over half of them. My dad was nowhere near perfect, but he was mine and I loved him.



Happy Birthday, Dad. I can only imagine what you're doing right now, but I know one day we will see each other again, and I can fill you in on everything you've missed, and you can do the same.



I love you.

17 comments:

ChicagoLady said...

Damn, I should have grabbed that tissue before I started reading. All those wonderful memories you just shared with us brought back the loss of my own father, almost 20 years ago.

Happy Birthday to your dad, I know he's looking down on you and is very proud of you!

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

Oh Heather....I can feel your pain. This was a beautiful post...I love all your scrapbook pages. How wonderful that the kids can look back and see them in photos with their Grandpa.

It has been 2.5 years since my dad has been gone and I still cry from time to time.

Thank you for sharing this with us. Thanks for the warning...I grabbed those tissues and SO needed them.

I'll be thinking of you today!

mommy4life said...

What a blessing to have such wonderful memories and pictures to comfort you.

Suzann said...

Oh Heather! Such a beautiful post.

Jen said...

What a great post! This was such a beautiful tribute to your Dad, I am sure that he would have loved it.

HiHoOhio said...

I really do not know what to say but I know how proud your daddy is of you and how very honored he is knowing you loved him so. I KNOW he saw this post! Makes me sad and happy at the same time!

MarciaBrady said...

Heather, that's a great tribute to you dad! Love the scrapbook pages. I also love the photo of you and your dad at your wedding!

I still have my dad, but I know if I ever lost him, I would be devastated. I already get sad about it!

Hope you're doin' alright today!

Anonymous said...

Great post Heather! You're dad was very proud of you, you can just tell.

This post makes me miss my dad as well. We lost him back in May of 2000. It makes me sad that he barely got to know Emerson and he never even got to meet Vivienne.

So I lift a glass, (of diet Mountain Dew, but it still counts), and toast all the great fathers out there! Always missed and never forgotten.

Thanks for always being there when we needed you. And know that you will live on forever, because the things you taught us will be passed on to our children and they in turn will teach those things to their children. And in those things we will always see that you are never truly gone!

Later Tater! ;)

Kim said...

I should have gotten that tissue when you told me to.

Happy Birthday to your dad. He looks like a big sweetie.

Rebecca Jo said...

tears.... what a beautiful tribute to your father. there is nothing like a father/daughter relationship - its so special.

Jenny and the Princess Peonies said...

Oh Heather. I couldn't read the whole post because this subject is to near and dear a fresh with me right now. But I feel for you. Have a blessed weekend.

Jane In The Jungle said...

You are so lucky to have such wonderful memories of your dad! I know you treasure them!

Anonymous said...

Wow! that was so beautiful. That was a tough year. The kids lost both great grandpas and grandpa. I wonder if pictures will be the only way they will be remembered. I feel your pain, I should have hugged you more today. I'll catch you tomorrow.

Michelle said...

Love you.

Heather said...

What an amazing tribute to your dad. Your kids are so lucky to be able to look back at these scrapbook pages and feel the emotions you had.


Gabe looks exactly the same then as he does now!

Lula! said...

I can't wait to meet him one day...'cause I will...

Ashley said...

Happy Birthday to your dad. I can't imagine how hard it is to lose a parent so young when you still have so much to share with them. I'm sure he is proud of you and your beautiful family.