Thursday, March 31, 2011

Tennessee Getaway

I got an email today from my friend, Suzann, wondering where I'd been and making sure I was okay (thanks again, sista-chicka...glad to know I'm missed :).

So for anyone else who may have missed my presence in blogland, this post is for you.  It's also for my friends who joined Joe and me on our spring break vacay to Gatlinburg, Tennessee.  Diane and Monica, I am blessed to have such fun and wonderful friends...and I can't wait to do it again someday!

Despite the gloomy, rainy and chilly weather, we managed to have a great time.

We hiked to Laurel Falls...








We rode the Sky Lift in town, where Gabe made me smile with his comment:

"This is the life, Mom.  I feel rich!".



We competed against our daughters at Just Dance 2 on the Wii (and though we thought we had the moves, the Wii was biased and gave the girls the winning scores).




We escaped the rain and explored the wonders of Ripley's Aquarium.



And we finally got to see the sun as we packed up the vehicles and prepared to head back home.


Although the drive up to the cabin was treacherous to say the least (yes, I got our van stuck on the way up, making Joe back us halfway down and striking fear into all of our hearts until we were safely on the mountain top); it was worth it.  Gorgeous, only two years old, and full of every amenity a group of thirteen adults and kids could ask for.


We did make a pitstop at the Nascar go-kart speedway, in order to fulfill Gabe's vacation dream.  ("I'm a BIG FAN of Car Number 9, Mom!").


The van is unpacked, the laundry done, and now I am deeply ensconced in my crazy work/school schedule.  If I'm absent for the next month, that is why...

Thank God for vacation.  When I'm exhausted and weary in the weeks to come, I will come back and visit this post and see that it was all worthwhile!

5 comments:

ethelmaepotter! said...

Sorry that you had such cold, dreary weather, but it doesn't seem to have dampened your spirits!

That cabin looks EXACTLY like the one where we stayed 2...3...4 years ago! Exactly, inside and out! Although I guess there are a lot that look alike. And the drive up there is all my poor car can do!

I have a little something for you over at my place - please come and collect it!

mep said...

A getaway with friends sounds like heaven! I love the mom/daughter Wii competition. Just bummed that the vacation aftermath kept us from meeting up on Wednesday -- next time!

Suzann said...

Welcome home!! I'm glad that you had fun. Definitely try XBox Kinects for the dancing - it's insane fun.

Rebecca Jo said...

Oh man... I just love Gatlinburg. We had a cabin one time that we had to end up getting new tired on so we could make it up the hill (it was our honeymoon - Ricky taped me at the top crying my eyes out thinking we were going to die) haha!!!

Love the pics... epecially the one of you & Gabe (how cute was his comment!!!) & I LOVVVEEEE that blue background with the jellyfish - that's gorgeous!

So glad you had a great time...

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

That looks like such a wonderful vacation. I love staying in log cabins. Glad y'all got to have such a relaxing, wonderful vacation.

P.S. Your daughter is so beautiful! Daddy is gonna need a shotgun in a few years!