Monday, January 28, 2008

"Weekend Warriors"


No, we're not in the military reserves...we are the Weekend Option staff in the SICU at Christ Hospital. Since I can't legally take pictures of our patients, this one of us in our staff lounge will have to do. This was taken on New Year's Eve, not long before midnight...while many of you were dressed to the nines, out partying and getting ready to ring in the new year with champagne, we were wearing our stylish scrubs and trying to keep our patients healthy enough to see 2008! All of us brought in food, and thank goodness we ate early, because after 11:30pm, the proverbial (and literal) "shit" hit the fan...just ask Tara! She got a new admission from the ER who was bleeding out, and was so busy giving blood and meds and offering support to the family that she didn't even notice when midnight came and went. But that brings me to my point...most of us wouldn't have it any other way. Any time I hear someone say "I can't believe you have to work EVERY weekend" or "that sucks that you have to work on Christmas", I remind them that I only have to be there for twelve hours, then I get to go home. How do you think that poor patient (and their family) feels, having to spend Christmas in the ICU? Sure gives you a new perspective. Nursing has been the best career choice I could ever imagine. I have been a nurse since 1994, and I still love my job! God gives me so many opportunities to minister to so many people, whether they are my patients, their families, or my co-workers. I work in one of the best units in Christ Hospital, the Surgical Intensive Care Unit. I am surrounded by knowledgeable and caring staff, and we take great care of our patients. There is nothing I would rather be doing on my Friday nights (well, that might be going too far :). But seriously, how many other jobs can you work two nights a week and get pretty much full-time pay? My kids never have to go a sitter, and they barely know I'm gone, since they are asleep most of that time. If anyone reading this has ever considered going into nursing, I strongly encourage you to give it a try. It's the best decision I have ever made!

No comments: