Monday, February 7, 2011

A memory date

Dear Dad,

I'm not sure if you still celebrate this day where you are, but down here, we still do.

You would've been 66 years old today.  You have a gaggle of grandkids who would love to bake you your favorite yellow cake with chocolate icing and sing Happy Birthday, watching you blow out candles and open your gifts of Coca-cola or Nascar memorabilia.  You have a wife who still misses you like crazy.

And you have two daughters who miss their annual lunch/movie birthday date with their dad.

We still dream about you.  We still talk about you.  We look at old pictures and reminisce about all the memories we made while you were with us, and the things you would say if you were alive (about a particular book, or movie, or things like Facebook and blogs :)

Yesterday, Mom and Rhonda and I went to Panera for lunch, then the cinema to see The Rite.  Your favorite kind of movie...scary and intense.  I remember when you introduced me to Stephen King...when I was 10 years old!  The scarier, the better, in our opinion, right?  We had a great time together, us three girls.  But you were on our minds, and on our hearts.  You were missed, but you know what?  We felt your presence.  Your love still binds us together.  And I know that someday we will get to wrap our arms around you again, laying our heads on your chest and feeling the security of being held by you.

You are loved, more than ever.  You are missed, every day.  The pain of your absence is a bit less each year, as time has its way with us.  But you will never be forgotten.

Your "little tiger",

Heather

(Excerpt from my 2005 scrapbook, the year Dad died)

8 comments:

Suzann said...

Sweet Post.

Rebecca Jo said...

You know a father/daughter relationship tugs at my heart... so this just has me wanting to hug you...

Happy Birthday to your dad... I'm sure he's having a celebration in Heaven today! :)

Heather said...

Well done sis - of course I'm now typing with tears in my eyes! I miss him terribly - you just never get over losing a parent, that's all there is to it. I'm wearing his wedding ring today, and of course I will be baking that favorite cake of his, yellow w/chocolate icing, tonight. Just wish he could be here to enjoy it with us. It was great to spend the day with you and your mom, to honor his day together - I know that's the way he'd like it to be - I know he was smiling down on us. And boy would he have loved that movie!?! Thanks for sharing your blog link with me! Love ya! Rhonda aka "Sissy!!!" :)

Can you paste my comment on there?

Love you!
Sissy

CaraBee said...

This was beautiful. Your father sounds like such an amazing man and you were very lucky to have had him in your life. It is these special days that bring our loved ones freshly into our minds. As you said, they are never forgotten as long as they live on in our memories.

Happy birthday to your dad.

mep said...

Reading this post, I know for sure that your dad could not have been and in fact still is so full of pride to have such a wonderful daughter. Full of love too, of course. Glad you could celebrate his life with your mom and sister!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Heather, I can feel how much you miss him. This is beautiful. Hugs to you, your mom, and your sister.

Shannon said...

{{hugs}}

Shannon said...

(sorry i can't say more than that...)