Sunday, February 28, 2010

It's a good thing he's cute.

One snowy afternoon a couple of weeks ago, the kids were outside playing and Joe and I were downstairs in our respective offices, he playing World of Warcraft, me doing some scrapbooking.

The house was peaceful and all was right with the world.

Sitting there, happily surrounded by my photos, paper and double-stick tape, I had a sudden thought:  It's so nice the kids are all finally at an age where I don't have to hover over them constantly; this is wonderful.

Did I knock on wood immediately after hearing that thought bounce around my head?

No, no I didn't.

Five minutes later, Isabel came running downstairs, clearly on a mission.

"Mom, Gabe tore a hole in his window and is throwing toys out into the snow!"

Um, excuse me?  Whatdidyoujustsay?!

I ran up the stairs, with Isabel hot on my heels.  Sure enough, this is what I saw:



I peeked out and looked down, to see toys and pieces of paper covering the ground below.  Whatintheworldwashethinking?!

"Me and Jonah wanted to watch our paper airplanes fly in the snow, Mommy."

I'm sure they made an awesome sight, swirling around in the wind and snow to a safe landing down below.  But seriously, tearing a hole in the screen window?  Where does he come up with this stuff?

It's a good thing he's so cute.  It saves his life on a daily basis...

9 comments:

CaraBee said...

Fellow World of Warcraft widow here. Sigh.

Yes, he is SO cute. I think young children just work on a completely different kind of logic. Either that, or they really are trying to drive us insane.

VKT said...

He is beyond cute. Bless his little heart.

mep said...

Good thing he's really, really cute.

I am looking forward to the days when my husband I can go about our day and feel reasonably secure that our children are old enough to keep themselves safely entertained . . . or at least until we can enjoy that illusion for a few minutes!

Life Laugh Latte said...

Once my mom took a nap. My fam had just moved from the snow to a sunny location. They missed the snow. Many rolls of toilet paper torn into itty bitty pieces later...Waaalaa...snow in the livingroom. Yeah...my mom wasn't so happy. Holly

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Oh my. I am not sure that cuteness would have saved my girlies with this one :-)

brainella said...

Dang. My mother-in-law reminds me constantly that is why God makes small children cute...so we won't kill them when they get themselves into trouble. :-)

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

OMG!! That is hilarious! He is SO cute!!

Shelley said...

He is adorable. However, what I'd like to know is what your hubby said...

stephanie said...

that is awesome... and TOTALLY something my kids would do.

blogs work to our kids advantage. what normally would make us want to kill them, now makes us grab our camera in order to capture the moment for the world to see.