Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Hokey Pokey, anyone?
It was 1984.
I was eleven years old, getting dropped off at Harrison's skating rink and meeting up with my "date", Fred. (I didn't really like Fred, but he was the only boy in class taller than me; good enough reason, right?)
I was rockin' in my skinny jeans, magenta-and-white striped bodysuit, and sporting my own pair of skates. I'm sure we did the Hokey Pokey, raced under the black lights (that bodysuit GLOWED), and demonstrated our backward-skating-abilities (or lack thereof) under the sparkle of the disco ball. Prince, Madonna and Cyndi Lauper were the tunes of choice, and we partied like it was 1999 (even if we had no idea what that meant).
Fast forward to 2010.
Now I am the mom taking the kids to the skating rink. The town is different, but the look is the same. Neon colors, ugly rental skates, rockin' tunes, hidden corners for making out (not for MY kids, of course!), even the disco ball hanging from the ceiling.
1999 is in the distant past, but they're still doing the Hokey Pokey.
Some things never change.
If only I could find a magenta-and-white striped bodysuit to go with my skinny jeans, I'd be set.
And my kids would be horrified. A good threat for keeping them out of that make-out corner...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
Heather,
You are not going to believe this but we did the Hokey Pokey during recess today. It was raining outside so we had to go to the cafeteria. The kids had a great time but I have to confess their teacher didn't have on any stripes or skinny pants...sigh
As soon as I saw the roller skated, I was flashed back to my middle school roller skating parties. Oh the memories. Good times.
I wonder if they will still have these parties in 5 or 10 yrs when my kids are old enough?
I wonder, do we even have a roller rink near us?
Oh how I loved to skate. it was fantastic. Now, I'm taking my kids too. Thanks for the memories.
I used to LOVE to skate!!! Every Friday night I went to the skating rink. It's gone now, but the memories will last forever...
I loved those black jeans with the silver roller skate embroidered on the right back pocket.
Thanks for popping in at my place. Oh you have to look at my post from yesterday about ice skating in the 80's. What a co-incidence.
Gosh, this takes me back! I LOVED the roller rink.
Last year for my 16th high school reunion we had a party at the roller rink. Mostly just the kids skated, and mine was way too small for it. But boy did it bring back some memories. It still looked and SMELLED exactly the same. It's wild.
skating never goes out of style!!!
I've been skating since I was 6 yrs old - met my husband in the skating rink - & he still skates EVERY Sunday....
Everyone calls us "a Skating family" - because all the girls have been skating since they could walk... nothing like the glow of black lights to bring on fun!
Ah skating rink memories...I have MANY! That was the place to be in middle school.
Ah, Rollerworld, skating and singing along to "I Love Rock and Roll," feeling so cool. If only my friends and I were old enough to hang out at The Bus Stop, the attached teen dance club (with actual school bus hooked onto the building as if it had crashed into it. ) Good times.
Pop over to my place - I have an award for you, because you love Tresor too.
lol, that's funny! I remember the same stuff and then reliving it when my kids went skating. *sigh - memories*
I loved the roller rink so much. I don't think I'll ever forget the feeling of the forced air in my hair as I skated to Chaka Khan.
My favorite was the school skating parties, but sometimes my friends and I ventured to the rink on a weekend, a little scary with all the "hoodlums" but still fun!
How do you keep yourself from getting suited up and skating when you're there with kids?
LOVED THIS!!
We went on a field trip a few months back to the local rink....I had forgotten how they smell like dirty socks & sweat. ^-^
Me & a couple of teachers got out there and were skating with the kiddos....I am proud to say I didn't fall....but I was hurting the next day!
Post a Comment