Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Frugal talk

In keeping with my word of the year, I have been on the search for ways to live frugally. I have checked out numerous books at the library (my current read is "Debt-Proof your Marriage" by Mary Hunt); started clipping coupons (and even remembered to bring them to Kroger with me!); and I've been looking at different websites to help me in the sport of couponing.

Didn't know that was a sport? It may not be featured in the Olympics, but I have met a Gold-medal deserving blogger who is a pro at couponing (yep, I'm talking about you, Brandy!). That girl is amazing at saving money, and she is truly my inspiration when it comes to saving money on household items/groceries.

Another site I've found is this one: Couponing 101. It has a great "getting started" guide, in addition to links to other great sources for coupons and other ways to save money.



I am officially inspired to start saving money. This past Sunday, I did my Krogering and spent only $127 on a cartful of food that normally would have been $200, just by buying sale items and using my coupons. A good start, I think.

Anyone else out there do the couponing thing? Wanna give Brandy a run for the money, or maybe win the "gold"? Have any tips for a newbie couponer like me? Do tell!

11 comments:

Brandy said...

Awww shucks! I'm small potatoes compared to some couponers but I appreciate the compliment. :)

That sounds like a great trip to Kroger! And I've never heard of Couponing 101 but I'm going to check it out. You never know she might teach me something!

CaraBee said...

I haven't done much couponing, but it is something that I really, really should do. Who can't stand to save some money?

The Wife O Riley said...

I do the coupon thing and travel store to store for the best deal. I don't think I'm up to competing level yet.

Rebecca Jo said...

Dont know if you've seen it on my blog... but loving the "grocery game"... LOVE watching that total come down with each scan of a coupon!!!!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

My husband does the grocery shopping...so he is the one that does the couponing. I send him over to Brandy's on a regular basis to get links for coupons or ideas or something...and I am about to send him the link to the couponing site for more!

Life Laugh Latte said...

It all makes a difference. Good for you. Holly:)

mep said...

I don't think I have enough mental clarity these days to be a successful couponer. However, I do read the ads adn plan my meals around them. In fact, my efforts to plan meals so far in 2010 and to actually take inventory of what we have before shopping have greatly reduced my grocery bill.

My mom is a master couponer, and I hope to follow her lead someday. Sad to report though that the stores in Chicago do not accept double coupons. Another reason why I miss my beloved Kroger.

Shannon said...

I use coupons, but probably not to their maximum potential. I'm going to have to check out Couponing 101.

Suzann said...

You go girl!

I just went to a class called "Super Couponing".

Interesting concept.

mama's smitten said...

So glad you posted about this I have been very curious and the links helpful!

Unknown said...

I clip coupons all the time....I'm a professional clipper.....do I remember to bring them to Kroger....40% of the time....hahaha

Way to go on your savings!