Friday, August 22, 2008

And it begins...

Yes, it has arrived, finally. The first day of school for Elijah and Isabel, but much to his dismay, not for Gabe. More about that in a minute.

On Wednesday of this week, I had to stay up all day after working all night so we could go to conferences and "meet the teachers". I'm so glad our schools do this...it helps put both the kids and me at ease knowing a little of what to expect. Isabel got to practice opening her locker (this is the first year for real lockers with combination locks); we met her teacher, who is just adorable. This is her first year teaching, so she is energetic and enthusiastic and so darn cute...Isabel loves her already.


Elijah's teacher is our backyard neighbor, also a fairly new teacher (I think this is her fifth year teaching). So sweet, very organized...Elijah is so lucky this year. For the last two years, his teachers have been close to retirement and a bit, shall we say, crabby at times. This is going to be a great school year for both of my kiddos, I have a feeling.
This morning, both kids wanted to wake up to their alarm clocks. 7:15am for Isabel, 7:30am for Elijah. I was up by 6:45am, so I could have a little bit of time to myself before the day began. Nervous stomach for Isabel, not so much for Elijah. New clothes for them both. Cologne for Elijah (cracking me up). Breakfast, lunches packed, then out to the bus stop with Gabe running around like a crazy man (a change in routine just stirs him up). Photo shoot before the bus comes. Look at their faces...you can see the apprehension in poor Isabel's eyes. Elijah is just ready to go.





Gabe was so excited when the bus came, thinking he got to go with Elijah. Poor, poor baby...he bawled and sobbed and snotted all over my shirt when he was told he had to stay with me. He wants to be a big boy so bad! Here are the before and after pics:






Only the promise of a trip to Barnes and Noble to play the Thomas trains and a visit to the pet store to see the fish and the puppies and a stop at Target to look at toys was enough to stop the tears. He doesn't start preschool until Sept 2, and even then he doesn't get to ride the bus. Oh, the disappointment.
I can't wait to hear about their days today. I am ready for the routine of back to school, and for a little bit of silence in my day, but I do miss them. A little. :)




13 comments:

Lula! said...

Ok, that final picture almost made me cry! Love his heart...

And we are so going to Barnes & Noble tomorrow, to "make trains" (her phrase, not mine!) while Daddy, Papaw Sonny, and Poppy are at the race. I dig coffee, reading magazines for free, and a play area for the girls. Good times.

BBB said...

I love this time of year - seeing all these wonderful kids headed back to school. It IS so hard to be left behind. I know Gert was SO dang happy to get on that bus with Essie for the first time, rather than be left behind - AGAIN!!!

Michelle said...

Enjoy your day. Back to school for me on Monday. Danielle will be driving herself to school this year, yikes! See you tomorrow.

WheresMyAngels said...

I want to cry with him, poor thing. My 4 year old can't wait to go to school.

oº˚ Homeschool Mom˚ºo said...

Thanks for sharing -- Love the pictues -- On my blog I'm doing scrapbooking on the computer and I have my first one up -- My first day of school if you would like to look at them. Poor little man he is to cute!

Jen said...

Awe, poor Gabe. His day will come soon. He just makes me so sad. Poor little boy.

HiHoOhio said...

I hope the book store worked for Gabe! Haircuts look good!!!! Poor little guy, he just CAN'T understand!

Melissa said...

I'm very much looking forward to Monday. It will be the second day of school. The first was Wednesday and the last two days have been home bound b/c of Faye.

Your kids are beautiful. Their teachers are so adorable. They just look ambitious! Sometimes you can just tell.

Heathersmom said...

My little sweethearts are growing up so fast. I can't wait to see them today at Gabe's birthday party. They are too adorable for words. Love, MaMa Carol
P.S. I am almost done with Twilight and can't wait to start the next book. I went to get an oil change on my car yesterday and left the book at the shop. I called this morning and they have it so I have to run up and get it. I was so upset last night, I was all ready to finish the book and I did not have it! And your sister would have killed me. It's her book.

Shelley said...

AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! That last picture made my heart ache for him.
I hope the older two had a great first day.
Love your blog. This is not my last visit.

Danyele Easterhaus said...

a very similar day happen to us this last week...and i'm glad to see that maybe my 4 kiddos won't need therapy since you also do the B&N promise! i get coffee and they play and read...we must be inkdred spirits...or momma's lookig for a way to get out of the house!!! fun blog! sweet kiddos and i love their names! good job momma!

"The Queen in Residence" said...

Such a sweet face. I am going to look like that when my kids go to school but there will be no one there to take me to the pet store, and to play with the trains and so I will cry even more...

I hope that school will be good for you this year.

Aubrey said...

Oh, that last pic broke my heart! I hope they had a great first day!

Oh, what would the boys do without cologne? I'm still trying to tell my 15 year that less really is more!!