I really don't want to go back to "frugal year", but in this economy of late, I would like to find some new ways to pinch pennies and stretch out our hard-earned dollars. I already coupon, make meal plans based on what's on sale, and pack my kids' lunches nearly every day. I shop at second-hand thrift stores and boutiques (scored a brand new Liz Claiborne purse for $3 last week!), and NEVER buy any article of clothing unless it's on sale.
After reading MckMama's blog post about making her own laundry detergent, I was inspired to try yet one more thing to save some moolah. I made a list of the ingredients and headed over to Walmart, where I easily found most everything (except the essential oils, which aren't really essential at all). I may try to order those online, if I decide to keep this up. The detergent was easy to make, and my test run of towels last night turned out great. For 1/10th of the cost of Tide, I do believe it's worth the effort!
Have you ever made your own detergent? Inspired to give it a try? What's your best tip to save money?
4 comments:
I've been doing that for YEARS!!!! Its so nice because a batch lasts for awhile & its so simple & cheap to make. Gets the clothes really clean too. My step daughter used it for cloth diapers & it really kept those clean too. (she may have added an extra dose of the OxyClean - but it cleaned those diapers!)
I've never used the oil yet because the hubs doesnt care for the smell of stuff anyways - but I may sneak it in. Knowing him, he wont even notice it.
I'm trying now to find a homemade fabric softner concoction.
So you found all those ingredients at Wal-Mart? Even the two kinds of soaps? Sounds like it's definitely worth a try ...
In the States I have a book with all kinds of recipes for green cleaning, and I use it a lot. The biggest tip I learned from it, though, is try vinegar first. Whatever you're trying to clean, vinegar will probably do the trick. And it's cheap, too. I use it for everything, so much so that when I smell vinegar, I think "Clean!" and not "Gag!" =>
PS: I never buy clothes that aren't on sale either. =>
I have to really, really, really, really want or need a clothing item to pay full price. I'm intrigued by the make-at-home detergent, though I'd really want to add the smell good oils. There's a link going around on Pinterest (which, by the way, you need to be on) with recipes for all kinds of cleaning products. I'd like to give it a whirl one of these days. Tips for saving money? Get organized, which I am not. Someday.
I am not the penny pincher in my family. I am the big spender, much to my husband's eternal frustration. I have started trying to find bargains on Ebay and such and I have even used a coupon or two but it is not something that comes naturally to me. I have absolutely no tips for saving money other than chaining your foot to the dining table and blocking Amazon on your computer.
I have heard about the homemade laundry soap. Maybe I'll give it a go one of these days.
Post a Comment