Monday, September 5, 2011

Heartache

The other night, I received a call from the senior resident doctor, needing an intensive care bed for a patient on the oncology unit.

One of my jobs is coordinating the placement of patients onto the appropriate unit for their needed level of care. The doctor explains what is going on with the patient, and we decide on the best place together.  We have three ICU's and a variety of other units. We care for the occasional child who comes through the ER doors, but mostly take care of adults.

When the R-3 (third year resident doctor) needs a different bed for a patient, it almost always means their health is declining rapidly and they need a spot in the ICU right now.

I've done this job for two years now, and have gotten this call many times.  I take down the name, find the right bed, coordinate the transfer between the two units, and follow-up to make sure the patient gets to where they need to go in the least amount of time.  Often, I help with notifying the patient's family of their status and helping them find the new unit.

This is my job, and I do it almost automatically now.  Sometimes, though, a particular situation stops me in my tracks.

This night, the patient who needed an ICU bed was a 42 year old woman with breast cancer which had spread to her liver and lungs.  She weighs 90 pounds.  She is a wife.  She is a mother to a 2 year old.  A 2 year old who will probably never remember his mom, as her body is not responding to the chemotherapy and she will most likely not live to see the end of this year, and maybe not even the end of this week.

Although she is at the end of her battle, she refuses to stop fighting.  She is still a "full code", meaning we will try everything in our medical arsenal when her body gives in.  As a nurse, this is so hard to do; as a mother, I understand completely why she's not ready to give up.

And these conflicting emotions make my heart ache.

8 comments:

brainella said...

I admire people who can help others they way you do. It's truly a selfless thing. I pray for her, and I pray for you.

Anonymous said...

This reminds me that I've got it easy right now. Thank you! Keep doing what you do, Heather, and know that so many appreciate it.

BBB said...

You are an amazing woman. I couldn't do that job. Bless her and bless you as well for your tender care and tender heart.

CaraBee said...

I think about the what ifs all the time now that I have a child. Hearing stories like this woman's absolutely break my heart.

It is a better world for having people like you in it. Thank you for doing what you do. I can't even imagine.

stephanie said...

wow. so incredibly sad. praying for her, her family and those of you who have the opportunity to bless them during this horrible time.

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

Oh I didn't expect to come to your blog and cry! I can't imagine....she is holding on for her small child and husband and the love she has for them is so strong that she doesn't want to let go... :(

Heather, I have told you before, and I'll tell you again like everyone else....You are an amazing woman for being able to do the job you do!!! I'll say a prayer for her...so young.

Anonymous said...

It is so great you can do the job you do - I admire you.....

mep said...

I could not do your job but feel comforted knowing that people like YOU do these jobs so well, with kindness and compassion and strength.