Monday, February 14, 2011

Printer's Tray

A few years ago, I was at a scrapbooking crop night and saw a woman working on a wooden tray, putting photos and trinkets into little sections of the tray.

It was gorgeous.  I wanted one.  It was called a "printer's tray", and it quickly moved up to the top of my wish list.

This past Christmas, Kay found some on eBay, and got one for me (and one for her, too).


I couldn't wait to fill those little cubbies up!  But wait I did, what with school and snow days and life's general busy-ness.

Just today, I finalized my little dream project and with Joe's help, hung it up on the living room wall.

Look closely, and you will discover old photos of my grandparents, my parents, my sisters...and even me.



In the next picture, you can see my dad (on the left), right next to Gabe.

There are old skeleton keys, buttons, vintage postage stamps from my grandmother, pieces of ribbon and wooden letters along with metal charms.



I knew just the right spot for it, and I found a couple of cute little accents on clearance at Hobby Lobby to accompany it.


Thanks to Kay and Joe, for helping me cross this off of my "wish list".  I love it!

8 comments:

Suzann said...

Loooooooove this!!!!

Shannon said...

What a great idea! Love it.

Where else (besides eBay) do you think you can find the trays?

mep said...

Awesome! My Grandma had a printer's box that she used to house her thimble collection. I received one when I was little, but it was too large and I never quite had the right stuff to fill it with. I love the various size openings in yours and the way you've filled some of the cubbies with photos. What a great gift!

Rebecca Jo said...

What an awesome keepsake!!! Holds so many memories... & what a fantastic conversation piece. I bet people will stop & look at every little thing/picture & want to know more!

stephanie said...

that is super fun! what a creative idea. i love the way you filled it too.

brainella said...

How nifty. I've never seen anything like that. You are way too crafty for me. :)

Angie's Spot said...

LOVE IT!! My hubby is in the printing industry, so I knew exactly what it was when I saw it. You made it gorgeous and I love how everything has a specific meaning for you guys. Gorgeous!

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

LOVE IT! This is such a wonderful idea, and it looks great on the wall.