Friday, May 8, 2009

Full Moon


Ask any cop or E.R. nurse around, and they'll tell you the effect a full moon has on their shift.

Fact or fiction, the lunar effect is up for debate.

After my shift today, I'm voting for "fact".

Visitors passing out and almost coding in the drive out front of the hospital.

Gunshot victims being dropped off just outside my office.

Ensuing drama in the E.R. as we tried to save a kid's life.

Dealing with the aftermath of said drama.

Did I mention that we are a small non-profit hospital, not a trauma center?

We're used to sweet elderly people coming in for their open heart surgery. Or suburbia women coming in to deliver their 2.5 babies. Busted-up gang bangers? Not so much...

Yep, I'm a firm believer in the ole lunar effect, whether snopes says it's real or not.

How about you? Got any good "full moon" stories? Please share!

13 comments:

Katy said...

Gezz that all sounds a bit hardcore - there is definitely abit of "Crazy Town" when the full moon is around - i have been to 3 Full Moon Parties in Thailand - and it is completely insane. Last one i saw 3 guys stabbing one with with a broken bottle about 5 metres from me, about 20 people with broken glass injuries, one guy with spinal injuries, and well over 100 people passed out, and that is just what i saw!

Jen said...

100% firm believer in the effects of the moon. I too have lived it .

K said...

I have lived it as a nurse in many different situations from L&D to the nursing home where the patients got just a little crazy!

Suzann said...

Well Chicka, I thought for shore you were going to talk about butts. Ya know, "FULL" moon.
I can't imagine seeing even one of those situations, let alone all of them.
As for the lunar effect? Yup, it's out there and it's real.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I have always heard that about the moon. Both my girls were born on a full moon.

Rebecca Jo said...

I've always heard the "theory" of the Full Moon... if you say its true, I'm going with 100% fact now!

Angie's Spot said...

The full moon theory is definitely true. I used to work for a children's mental hospital and we had some FREAKY things happen on full moon nights. And I worked 3rd shift, which was a real treat.

MarciaBrady said...

Well, after working at the hospital for a couple of years now and having worked a hand full of shifts when there was a full moon, I'd have to say FACT, FACT, FACT.

Maybe it's b/c we're closer to the moon, so the gravitational pull is more intensified for some and their brains quit working for a minute or two and all hell just breaks loose.

Or, maybe it's because it's so bright on a full moon, it makes people feel invisible and like they can do whatever they want.

Or...maybe it's...IDK, obviously...but, the full moon totally has it effects on people!!

***Yah, I've been drinking! haha

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

I totally believe that weird things happen when there is a full moon!!!

The autistic kids I work with are always freaked out the day we have one....it's like their entire routine goes crazy and they seem confused. It's weird.

Michelle said...

No stories that I can think of but I did have some really faaareaky dreams last night!

The Wife O Riley said...

I can't think of any stories, but I have always been a huge believer of the Full Moon effect.

You are so inspiring with your saving lives and all of that! I sit here in awe!!!

Lula! said...

Dr. Litton says it's TRUE. And he's gonna write a book about it one day!

Honorary Indian said...

I cannot remember any specific full moon stories...but behavior amongst patients and staff alike were always a bit radical when there was a full moon.

And, I totally thought this was gonna be a Twilight post...

:-)