Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Tag, you're it!

You know how hard it is to get tagged and not feel the need to run and tag the kid sitting next to you?

No?  Well, take my word for it.

I've already done an 8-question-about-you-meme once, but when Melissa tagged me again, I just couldn't resist.  After all, her questions were different, and clearly very important things she wanted to know about me.  I couldn't disappoint :)

If you're reading, consider yourself tagged.  If nothing else, it will give you the opportunity to google search great songs from the 80's!


Here are my questions for you:
1. What is your favorite 80's song?

Who can hear this song and not sing along?  And yes, my hair was bigger than all of these guys in 1987!


"Pour Some Sugar On Me"

Step inside, walk this way
You and me babe, Hey, hey!

Love is like a bomb, baby, c'mon get it on
Livin' like a lover with a radar phone
Lookin' like a tramp, like a video vamp
Demolition woman, can I be your man?
Razzle 'n' a dazzle 'n' a flash a little light
Television lover, baby, go all night
Sometime, anytime, sugar me sweet
Little miss ah innocent sugar me, yeah

Hey!
C'mon, take a bottle, shake it up
Break the bubble, break it up 



2. Favorite Casserole?

No wavering on this one...

Hash brown casserole from the ole Cracker Barrel wins, hands down.

Butter, cheese, sour cream...oh my!


Southern Hash Brown Casserole Recipe

  • 1 bag of frozen hash brown potatoes (2 lbs)
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • ½ cup melted butter
  • 1 ½ tsp salt
  • 1 small onion (chopped)
  • 1 can 10 ¾ oz cream soup (cream of chicken or cream of mushroom work very well)
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 2 cups crushed Corn Flakes
  • ¼ cup melted butter
Directions:
  1. As mentioned above, thaw hash browns (or use refrigerator style hash browns).
  2. In a large bowl, mix together hash browns, cheddar cheese, ½ cup melted butter, salt, onion, soup, and sour cream. Stir until evenly mixed.
  3. Spray a 9 x 11 or 9 x 13 inch pan or casserole dish with Pam or lightly grease the dish. This helps on clean up.
  4. Pour mixture from bowl into pan and spread evenly with a spoon. Do not pack down tightly.
  5. In a small bowl, mix together Corn Flakes and ¼ cup melted butter. Mix together and spread on top of casserole.
  6. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes without a lid. The top should be lightly browned when done.


Read more at Suite101: Southern Hash Brown Casserole Recipe: Cracker Barrel was the Copycat - Here's the Original Home Casserole http://www.suite101.com/content/southern-hash-brown-casserole-recipe-a66599#ixzz10ue000RT



3. Cheesecake or Pie?

I like the occasional slice of cheesecake, but nothing hits the spot more than a pie made with fresh blackberries from the garden.  This was our first year of having a bumper crop of the little gems, and they were delicious!


4. If you could do one thing over, what would it be?

By the time I had Gabe, I realized the absolute truth of the saying "time flies".  I savored every moment of his baby years, not even minding the midnight feedings or the fussy times when he just wanted to be held.  I wish I could go back and truly appreciate those times with Elijah and Isabel, too, instead of constantly looking forward to the next new thing (new tooth, crawling, walking, talking...).  That time in my life is a blur, and I know I didn't understand how I would blink and Elijah would be in junior high.

5. Would you rather read the book or see the movie?

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS read the book.  I go to the movies maybe twice a year, and one of those times this past couple of years has been to see Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse.  And I saw each of them multiple times.  However, I would choose to read the book over seeing the movie every single time.  You just can't top the power of imagination!

6. Are you a yeller or a talker with your children?


Do you really think I would need to yell at these precious things?

Um, yes; yes, I do.  But I do prefer to talk first, yell later.  Unless I'm operating on two hours of sleep after working a night shift and no one is listening to me when it's time to get ready for bed and I'm getting crankier by the second and just want to lie down myself...then I can get pretty darn loud.

7. Do you prefer to fly or drive?

I have flown only a handful of times, and I really don't mind it, but I truly prefer the adventure of a road trip.  Planning out the map, packing up the van and heading out with my family in tow...I have so many great memories of the "getting there" part of our vacations, which wouldn't be the same if we had "gotten there" in two hours instead of sixteen.

8. Would you rather go to New York City or California?

Funny you asked.  Joe and I were just talking about planning a trip to California someday.  I have a friend who is a travel nurse in Cali, and she was telling me about a great place just north of Napa Valley called Calistoga.  One of the highlights is a hot-air balloon ride over the vineyards...can you imagine?  Breathtaking!


Enough about me...what about you?

12 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

I just saw Def Lepard in concert a few years back (with Styx!!!) - they were AWESOME!!!!! Felt like I had to pull out my Aqua Net & get the hair big all over again!!! :)

Now, I am craving Hashbrown Casserole... mmmm....

The Wife O Riley said...

Emerson (who's 11) has discovered Def Lepard and just loves them! She was really impressed when I told her I saw them in concert back in the day. :)

Love those potatoes, I call the funeral potatoes because they're great to take to a grieving family.

Brandy said...

You are so right...I cannot NOT sing when that song comes on. It's timeless.

Those Cracker Barrell potatoes are addicting. I made them last Christmas for breakfast and the dish was E-M-P-T-Y in no time.

Suzann said...

I do have the song on my iPod and yes, I do sing along. Never been to Cracker Barrell - seriously, never.
And I'll play along - I will.

BBB said...

If you go to Cali, you can head ALL THE WAY to the other end of the state and go to.....

LEGOLAND!!!

ethelmaepotter! said...

TAG!

80's song - Tempted, by Squeeze

Casseole - squash, followed closely by that yummy Cracker Barrel one!

Cheesecake, plain

One thing to do over? Invest in Microsoft!

Read the book!!!!

Talker

Fly

California

That was fun!

Shelley said...

I just posted my me-me on my blog. I can hardly believe that you narrowed your 80s music down to one song.......

Shannon said...

I don't think I could name just one 80s song as my favorite. But I do know all the songs by The Police rank pretty high up there.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Thank you for stopping over and visiting with me today. I copied that Hash Brown recipe, it sounds awesome. I love blackberries, they are my favorite, how nice to have them available to pick. I want to visit New York some day and Washington DC. Your family is beautiful.

Melissa said...

Can I just say, you are the bestest meme writer? I love this post! I totally would have picked NY, but only because I want to go to a Broadway show, preferably one with Hugh Jackman, cause he is just sexy! That view of the hot-air balloon, however, makes me want to rethink my choice!

stephanie said...

california for sure! i'll meet you in san francisco!

and so, so true about savoring every moment with the kids. why must they be growing up so fast?

mep said...

We had a jukebox in our basement when I was growing up and "Pour Some Sugar On Me" was one of the records I chose for it. Awesome!

I cannot get enough of Cracker Barrel nor of any kind of cheesy potato concoction.

Keep doing these memes because I love reading answers to random questions!