Thursday, September 23, 2010

Junior high

Although he didn't have anxiety about starting 7th grade, I sure did (for his sake).  

Would he be able to find all his classes?  Would he have time to eat his lunch?  Who would he sit with?  Would he make new friends?  Would he be able to open his locker?

Sigh...

Looks like Elijah knew better than his old mom.

The transition to Junior high has been nothing but smooth.  He has been nominated for Student of the Week three times already (by his teachers), and his grades are between A and A+.  He has made a couple of new friends and reconnected with old ones (pictured here is his friend, Aaron, who has been part of our "family" since they were both three years old!).


Yes, we are starting into some hormonal times, with mood swings and pimples and sweaty boy smells.  He is sad that he is one of the shortest guys in his class, and can't wait til he has a growth spurt.  But he is playing baseball and basketball and is excellent in both, and he really likes changing classes every bell.  Joe picks him up after school every day, since it is on his way home from work; this father-son time together has been great for the both of them.

And I haven't had any more nightmares about not being able to find my class or locker, thank goodness!

8 comments:

mep said...

I am so happy to hear that junior high is off to a great start. Sounds like Elijah is a completely wonderful kid, despite the sweaty boy smells! I think it's really special that he gets to ride home from school with his dad every day.

BBB said...

I'm glad things are going well. Essie is loving middle school too. This morning Gert said something about her going back to elementary school and Essie said NO WAY!!!

That's neat that he has that guy time with his dad.

Anonymous said...

This really makes me feel old!!!I remember holding him when he was just a baby, and now, he's not so much a baby anymore!!! Make them stop growing!!!

Rebecca Jo said...

Ahhh- look at your smart boy!!!

Junior High... I see it every year with the youth kiddos - its the time they grow up! Start becoming the teenager... are you afraid? :) Dont be - you've got a great kiddo there that is going to grow into an amazing young man!

ethelmaepotter! said...

Hi Heather!

Stopping by from Fred and Ethel to say thanks for visiting me, and I love your blog so much, I'm following you!

You sound a like super-mom to me, and a sensible one, too. The transistion to junior high, and then to senior high, are tough ones, but it sounds like y'all are all managing it well.

By the way, my daughter-in-law is also a Heather, and Elijah is my favorite boy name!

Michelle said...

Been there. Done that. Know exactly how you feel, even the nightmares!

Suzann said...

Wonderful!!!
My oldest son grew 8 inches in 8th grade!!!
Thomas is already 5'2" and he's only 9!!! Heaven help me with that boy.
Sometimes I think things are much worse for US than it ever is for THEM.

Brandy said...

Ah puberty...that means good times ahead. NOT! I'm happy to hear that he made the transition to MS seamlessly.