Some days I feel pulled in so many directions, I'm surprised I don't look like the mom from the Incredibles (remember her ability to stretch into any shape?).
Gabe needs me to calm his anxieties about kindergarten.
Isabel needs some girl time with her momma, connecting over a chic-flick like Tuck Everlasting.
Elijah needs a sounding board to talk about his fears (being the smallest one in his class, never having a growth spurt EVER).
Joe needs couple-time (and you all know what that entails).
My mom is finally making the move to Lebanon, and has needed a lot of help with the details.
I have obligations with work and school and coaching Girls on the Run.
I want to meet everyone's needs, and I love to feel so necessary and needed. But some days, I am the needy one. Some days, I feel overwhelmed just looking at the laundry and the dust and the mile-long to-do list sitting on my counter. I pray for God to give me the strength I need to not just make it through my day, but to give to each of the people in my life the things they need from me, and hope for a little something left over for myself.
Today I will do my laundry and clean my house and mark things off of my list. I will love on each of my kids and Joe. I will walk and bathe the dog. I will make phone calls for my mom and take Elijah to basketball practice and go out for a girls night with Isabel and our friends. I will snuggle with Gabe and practice our phone number and address so he feels prepared for kindergarten. And I will praise God for helping me not just get through the day, but for taking care of me as I care for everyone else.
Am I alone in this feeling? How do you get through days like these?
11 comments:
You are so not alone. One check mark off the list at a time is the only thing we can do. When the day is done I grab a good book, fill the tub with bubbles and sit back and relax in the quietness. Remembering that tomorrow it starts all over... again.
Wanted to be sure to stop in and say Hi and let you know that I have a new blog space. Hope you'll visit.
You are not alone. Take it one tasks at a time -- I stopped writing down all the things I needed to do because it stressed me out when I didn't get much done. I do what's important first and let the rest happen when it does. Not a perfect solution but that way my head doesn't explode. :)
Feel the solidarity. We women.
The role of mom, wife & daughter seems to be overwhelming sometimes. Exactly like you said - who can you lean on in that same way? Why its important to take time for yourself! Refresh, renew, revive!!!! (is that a hair shampoo commerical? haha!) - but spend time alone, pamper yourself when you can & have some one on one time with God to fill your Spirit up to tackle the world for others again! :) HUGS!
Hell yeah, I hear ya, except the helping mom part, lol.
You can do it. You will do it.
Love you.
Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming.
That is all a person can do.
To keep with the theme...
You got a friend in me... you got a friend in me... when the road is.. tough ahead and you're miles and miles from your nice warm bed....
I'm not sure that fits with your post but it sounded REALLY good. :)
How do I get through days like this? I guess I just do. Tomorrow is another day and we can only eat an elephant one bit at a time. I just try to tackle one thing and then another. Sometimes I get so overwhelmed with all of it, but I (and you) are only one person and sometimes we need to see past peoples' expectations of us and just be us.....Love you and I empathize....:)
I don't think I can say anything more inspiring than Jen's "just keep swimming" or Melissa's "eat an elephant one bit at a time".
Clearly, you're not alone. But that is why we lucky women are hard-wired to be better at multitasking. Because we have to be.
Hugs.
Oh, no, you are so not alone. It's great to feel so needed but yes, I often feel like I want to NOT be needed so much. I totally get it.
The couple-time thing made me laugh. I TOTALLY get that...:)
You are not alone. Your God will carry you - I often envision Jesus folding towels right with me as He encourages me to keep going and that I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. And you can. Keep on going girl but go get a pedicure this weekend! :)
Natalie at Mommy on Fire
http://www.mommyonfire.com
Definitely not alone! I was just trying to explain to my husband how difficult it is to be the only person to know the "whole plan" -- especially with regards to the kids and packing them for trips (to mention a recent example). I have a million things to remember right before we leave and plus have to feed the baby right then too.
I can only imagine how much more difficult things become when my kids are older and have more emotional and anxiety needs beyond the physical.
It's empowering and frustrating to have so many needs to meet! Good luck!
Often times it's the cleaning that takes a back seat at my house. At the end of it all no one is going to care whether my table was dusty but they will know how much I loved them b/c I cared enough to spend my time with them & not with the mop. :D
Post a Comment