Thursday, October 22, 2009

Birthday party etiquette (and a kitten pic, too!)

The kittens are one week old in this picture, with their eyes still closed, but already developing little personalities. Gabe loves to "play" with them, and Autumn seems to enjoy the break (every mom needs a break, right?).


This past Saturday, Gabe was invited to a classmate's birthday party. The mom was taking five preschoolers to the movie theater to see "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs", then back home to her house for dinner, dessert and presents.

Most of you know Gabe enough by now to understand my anxiety in subjecting another mother to the wildness that can be Gabe, especially when he is excited...

Before allowing him to go, I sat him down to discuss some birthday party etiquette.

Me: Gabe, Jack's mom is paying for you to see this movie. You need to be on your best behavior, be a good listener, and say thank you to her, okay?

Gabe: Okay, Mom. I hope I get a Hot Wheel for Jack's birthday!

Me: Gabe, this is Jack's party. He will be the one getting the gifts, just like you did on your birthday.

Gabe: Well, when is my second birthday? Tomorrow?

Me: No, you only get one birthday per year. Now, back to the party. Make sure you say thank you to Jack's mom for dinner; she's cooking some yummy spaghetti and meatballs. Use your best manners, okay?

Gabe: Sure. Jack will let me play with his new toys, right?

Me: I don't know. I'm sure you will get to play with something. But no fits, okay? Can you remember all this? You need to be on your best birthday-party-behavior, okay? (I'm getting more nervous here...)

Gabe: Yeah, yeah, I know. NO FIGHTING, NO YELLING, NO HITTING KIDS IN THE FACE WITH A BASEBALL BAT.

Me: (Dear Lord.) Um, okay. (I'm praying fervently at this point...)

(p.s. The party was fine, Gabe really was on his best behavior, and Jack even shared some cool Spiderman wrapping paper with Gabe, which he still has. I think we've turned another corner here, folks!)

9 comments:

Life Laugh Latte said...

I have two very different boys. One is all boy, all sports, rough and ready to play HARD. My other one is creative and loves to chat, sees everything beautiful in the world, and really wants to be a white bunny with pink ears for Halloween, but chose a bat instead. This boy stuff is hard work isn't it! Have a great day. Holly at lifelaughlatte.blogspot.com

Angie's Spot said...

Bless his heart, he did such a great job! I have the opposite fear with my girls. They attended their first (without us) bday party this summer and I was so worried that they wouldn't utter a peep to their hosts. Sure enough, Little A peed her pants and didn't tell a soul and Big A hid up in their playroom the whole party. Sigh. At least they didn't cry the whole time like I though they would. Progress!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Parties are so hard at that age - especially the present part! I am trying to convince Katie that we should take her friends to see "New Moon" and count that as her birthday party. Somehow she does not seem to be agreeable. Because she would do that anyway!

CaraBee said...

"No hitting kids in the face with a baseball bat." Good advice for any party, really.

I love the Meatballs themed party, IN THEORY, but I can't imagine taking five kids to a movie. YIKES.

Melissa said...

That boy is downright hilarious. I would love to hear the banter between him and Emmy.

Suzann said...

Well, he knows he can't hit anyone with a baseball bat. He's a smart kid. LOL

Rebecca Jo said...

Oh my gosh... the words out of his mouth never cease to amaze me... I love when you share his wittiness... At least he DOES know a baseball bat to the face is NOT a good thing!

I love that he's wanting a 2nd birthday too in one year.. me - no thank you.. one is PLENTY!

Michelle said...

I am glad you are his mother and I am just the aunt. Was this cute little Jack with the red hair? If so, his mom knows Gabe and knew what she was getting into (hehe). No hitting kids in the face with baseball bat, WHAT. When did that ever happen. He cracks me up. I am glad he had a good time. His second birthday will be when Aunt Chelle comes to visit with a Hot Wheel for him, duh. Danielle is cracking up now too. She said "and we thought Brayden was bad."

In other news.....we were watching Greys tonight and Danielle was telling me about a patient that bled out and how blood was coming out everywhere, and guess what, we saw that. Did you see it?

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

LOVE Gabe stories!!

I was feeling nervous for you....thought you were gonna say he threw a meatball at Jack!


That was one brave momma to take them into a theater!

I've said it before and I'll say it again....God knew what he was doing when he didn't bless me with the boy I so desperately wanted! I don't think I would have survived!