Saturday, January 3, 2015

Winter plan.

Winter in Ohio.

This time last year, those three words almost drove Joe and I to pack up our kids, find a home in Florida, and vacate the midwest forever.

Last winter was the worst one I can ever remember.  We had family dramas trying to suck us in, bitter cold that made it impossible to escape, and more snow days than even the kids could stand.  By March, I was turning into a cranky, frozen snow-witch.

Seriously.  I'm not usually a complainer, but I complained about the cold, the snow, my numb hands, snow days, our house, the kids...I drove MYSELF crazy.

But you know what happened?  Spring came, then summer, and they were the best spring and summer I can remember.  Mother Nature redeemed herself, I enjoyed our yard more than ever before and appreciated each and every warm, sunny day.


Pincushion flowers that greet me every spring in our garden.
This winter, I made a promise out loud, to Isabel and on Facebook.  "I will NOT complain about the winter, or the cold, or the snow".  I will use this time to catch up on home projects, my family scrapbooks, my card-making, learning new recipes, playing games with my kids and Joe.  I will count my blessings for a warm house, and a new heated blanket, and furry fingerless gloves that I can wear when my fingers grow numb (I can even type in them!).

I will patiently wait for spring, and I will not wish away these winter days with miserable complaining.

(Please feel free to remind me of this post if you catch me starting to complain.  Especially in March, when the temptation will be great.)

Do you like winter?  Or do you snuggle in under the blankets and count down the days til spring like me?

No comments: