Sunday, March 18th.
A day I had been training for, running up and down the hills through my neighborhood, listening to my "run, baby, run" playlist and convincing myself that I could, indeed, run a 15K race.
I set what I thought was a reasonable goal: under two hours, maybe a bit of walking but mostly running.
On Saturday, I hydrated and carb-ed up and went to bed early.
I woke up at 3am with nightmares (forgot my running shoes, lost the race chip, couldn't find a bathroom). I finally gave up at 5am and just climbed out of bed.
I ate the "right" things...a bit of oatmeal, a banana, some water. I headed downtown to meet up with my Christ Hospital group, nervous butterflies in my stomach.
7:50am: The start of the race.
This race is usually cold and rainy, so we were surprised to be blessed with perfect weather. 60's and partly sunny, with a nice breeze coming over the Ohio River.
I ran the first six miles without stopping, keeping pace with another Christ Hospital nurse and truly enjoying myself. I just KNEW I was going to beat my goal. Feet pounding the pavement, a smile on my face, feeling strong and GOOD.
Then, the biggest hill of the race. Practically a 90-degree angle, for heaven's sake. We had already decided we would walk up the hill, then run down and finish the last three miles. My knee, however, had other plans. Despite the support brace I was wearing to prevent this sort of injury, that last hill did me in. I had to urge the other girls to keep going while I walked it out, hoping to run again after a few minutes.
However, every time I tried, the pain almost brought me to the ground. I could walk, but I could not run. So walk I did. Until the last 1/2 mile, when I could see the finish line. I was determined to RUN across that line. Clenching my teeth, holding back the tears, I sucked in the pain and ran.
My time? One hour, fifty-five minutes. Still five minutes under my goal. With friends cheering me on, making me feel so proud. I. Did. It.
And when I hobbled to my van, I opened up my phone to find a text from Isabel:
Congratulations, Mom, you did it! I love you! You should be proud of yourself!
My heart grew two sizes bigger (name that book), and despite the painful knee, I smiled all the way home.

5 comments:
Your heart CANT grow 2 sizes bigger... its already HUGE :) .. & you're not green either.. unless you were ready to puke from running :)
But that text is what its all about - being an amazing example to your kids.... showing what it means to train, prepare & FINISH it, even in pain!!!
I feel ya lady... knee pain in a race is awful. But oh, that feeling of crossing the finish...
(just imagine what its going to be crossing the finish line to Heaven? Exhausted, in pain, worn out... & then falling into the arms of Jesus? WHOOO HOOO!!!!)
SOOOOOO proud of you!!!
I've been waiting for you to post about this. I knew it was coming. So glad you finished below your goal, what an amazing feeling that is!
Way to persevere! You did it! I loved hearing about your butterflies before the race, and your bravery to finish strong. Loved too what Rebecca Jo had to say about finishing life's race.
I hope you are inspired to run again. You did, after all, pick one of the hardest races here in Cincinnati. The rest are downhill :)
Is the movie "The Grinch"?
Way to go, Heather!! There's nothing like setting a goal for yourself and beating it.
You are an amazing example for your daughter and sons. They see your efforts and accomplishments and will be inspired in their own lives.
Congratulations!
Truly a great accomplishment. I can't even muster the time or energy to walk a mile on the our basement treadmill. You're an inspiration!
Running an easy race is never as satisfying as surviving a grueling one. Way to go, friend!! You are amazing.
Post a Comment