Thursday, February 16, 2012

Melt my heart

There is nothing like having a teenager and a pre-teen to make you appreciate the love of your first-grader, who doesn't care if it isn't cool to show affection to his mom.

There are so many things about Gabe that make me smile on a daily basis.  The way he remembers to feed his fish each morning.  The way he RUNS home from the bus stop every single day, bursting through the door with news of his day and a big hug for me.  His enthusiasm is contagious, and I love it.

His talent for being creative with his Legos is unmatched.  Joe was ready to pitch these styrofoam cubes, but Gabe begged to play with them for a while.  We had visions of tiny white pieces all over the living room, but instead he built this...

and played with it for days.  Awesome.

For Valentine's day, his first grade teacher had the students write a love letter to a friend or family member.  This is what Gabe wrote:

To Mom with love,

I will show my love for you by:
1.  Feeding the dog.
2.  Give-ing hugs.
3.  Loading the towels (into the washer).
4.  Watching shows together.
5.  Love-ing.

Love, Gabe

My heart melted reading this.  I promptly hung it on the fridge, and you know I will be keeping it forever.  I thank God for this boy of mine.

4 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

that is the sweet-est :) haha!!! He really is the most precious son!

I love he can take the oddest things & entertain himself with it - that imagination is going to come in handy one day - watch & see! :)

Ginger Mohr said...

What an awesome kid! He made my heart melt too.

E... said...

Wonderful. Being a mom to boys is pretty sweet, I think.

mep said...

That tower is fantastic. Makes me wish we had some of those foam blocks around here!

Your Gabe sounds so sweet. My little guys (and gal) are too. How lucky are we?!