Monday, October 3, 2011

Busy bee

As a toddler, Gabe was what I lovingly referred to as my "busy bee".  The boy was always getting into something, going somewhere, or making a mess...and often all three.

As he got older, he calmed down quite a bit.  By the age of five, I had hope that he might survive into his teen years, after all (without driving his exhausted momma into an early grave, that is).

Now that he's seven (yes, my baby is seven...I have no idea how that happened!), Gabe can sit and read a book, build an entire Lego set all by himself, and contentedly watch a movie in the theater without getting up twenty-five times to get popcorn, go to the bathroom, explore the row in back of us, check out the toys in the lobby...you get the picture.

Despite the level of maturity that he has achieved, I have to say that Gabe is still my busy bee...

On any given day, you can find him building dominos, watching domino videos on Youtube, finding cool domino sets to buy on Amazon.com (domino-building is his newest passion):

 

or you might find him laying paver stones out back (his favorite part was hammering them in place with Dad's rubber mallet):


He still loves doing crafts, and it was no trouble at all to convince him to write out his thank-you cards for his birthday gifts:


Another favorite thing is to grab my camera and take pictures.  I had no idea he was using my pj-clad self along with my naked foot as a back-drop for the "many faces of Isabel photo shoot":

Isabel Happy

Isabel Sad

 His greatest love is still Legos.  He loves to build his own creations, then make videos or take pictures of them, always requesting that I "put them on Youtube, Mom!":


Needless to say, my boy is still my busy bee, and probably always will be.  At least now, he's old enough to clean up his messes :)

Now, can somebody please tell me how to slow down the clock, because in another seven years, my baby will be a teenager, and his siblings will be grown adults.  I just can't wrap my mind around that!

5 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

oh... to have his energy :)

Anonymous said...

His Lego creation is amazing! The most I could ever do with Legos was sort them by color and pretend they were food for my stuffed animals.

And rubber mallets are super-fun, aren't they?? =>

Becky said...

S-E-V-E-N??

I guess I KNEW this, but to SEE it written quite honestly kind of made me give a little gasp.

Geesh. Where DOES time go?

He will definitly be keeping you on your toes, but that is half the fun...rrriigght? Sigh...right?

I have too many busy bees I guess :)

mep said...

Your busy bee is adorable, and I know his type, for sure! I am very heartened to hear that your busy bee now knows how to clean up after himself. Very hopeful that mine will too in a couple short years!

E... said...

I've been lax on my commenting lately, but wanted to make sure to wish Gabe a belated happy birthday!! SEVEN??? Does this mean I'm going to have one of those soon?