Saturday, October 4, 2008

Nursing Humor

Since I am going to be spending my weekend at the hospital working two twelve-hour night shifts in a row, I thought I'd find some funny stuff to get me in a better mood about it. Here's one:


A short history of medicine


I have an ear ache.
2000 B.C. - Here, eat this root.

1000 A.D. - That root is heathen, say this prayer.
1850 A.D. - That prayer is superstition, drink this potion.
1940 A.D. - That potion is snake oil, swallow this pill.
1985 A.D. - That pill is ineffective, take this antibiotic.
2000 A.D. - That antibiotic is artificial. Here, eat this root.


Sometimes, when the unit is not too busy, we actually have a lot of fun together. Julie and Roel, I hope you don't mind that I borrowed your likenesses for these photos:)

On this particular night last summer, we were all feeling left out from a party that everyone else was at, except for us poor folks who had to work. To help make us happy, we ordered Larosa's and brought in yummy treats (nurses love to eat). Then we all modeled for my camera. This was before my blogging days, so I just envisioned a great scrapbook page for these pics at the time.

Poor Roel. He was just out of orientation here, a brand new nurse from the Phillipines, learning the ropes of the ICU and all the American slang we were teasing each other with. Being his preceptor, it is ALWAYS up to me to explain to him the real meanings (like the "corksoaker" skit from SNL). Man, I hate that. God love him, he is one of the best nurses in our unit, such a hard worker and so stinkin' sweet.





Okay, for those of you who don't know a nurse, I have to explain that we have a really strange sense of humor. And some things are just funnier at 3 o'clock in the morning. Like a bedpan full of chicken wings...
or an emesis basin full of guacamole...

Seriously, we do a lot of hard work in our unit, saving lives and comforting families when lives can't be saved. But we also work hard to support each other. Because our spouses/families/friends usually don't understand how exhausting our jobs really are. And that's not their fault. I had no idea what a nurse did until I became one. My job is not glamorous. I have never met Dr. McDreamy. We do not have sex in the broom closets (3 North, maybe, but not the broom closet...just kidding, really). Usually our jobs on night shift are a little more laid back, but not always. Sometimes you have a night where you don't eat, drink, or pee until the next shift arrives. But always, we are helping each other, physically and emotionally. My coworkers make my job so much more enjoyable.
So wish me a happy weekend, and I promise, if you end up in our unit, you'll be well taken care of.

18 comments:

WheresMyAngels said...

Cute pictures!!

I've always wanted to do the parties with the Urine test cups as shot glasses and a urinal as a pitcher and of course the bed pan as the snack holder.

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

I applaud you for being a nurse!
When my dad was in the ICU for 3 months...I got to know the nurses well. They liked me and would let me sit with him for hours at a time. They just shut the curtain.
I witnessed how hard they worked. Sometimes they wouldn't sit for hours. I would say aren't you due for a break and they would just laugh and say, when? Thank you for being a nurse!!!!
Good luck with the long weekend....looks like you have great co-workers!!

Katy said...

Wow, didn't know you were a nurse, you are an amazing women!

Becky said...

God totally put you on this earth (for many reasons!), but (a main reason) because he knew what wonderful gifts you could share being a nurse. You give your all!!

I'm so proud of you!!

BITRCountryGirl said...

Good luck this weekend! I'm working too. You nurses and your "sick" sense of humor.

Michelle said...

Try to have a good weekend and I will talk to you next week. After some of the stories I hear, how could you even think of eating anyway, ewwwwwww.
Thanks for yesterday.
Love you.

I Love Purple More Than You said...

Love the nursing sense of humor, but I can't handle the bodily fluids.

That's why I changed my major from Nursing to Recreational Therapy my junior year in college.

But I'm always thankful for nurses!

"The Queen in Residence" said...

You can be my nurse anytime as long as you bring the bedpan with chicken wings in it. Too funny. I think the night shift is the best you really get to be real and your coworkers become more then that, they are family.

Jen said...

Ah such a familiar site. I must say though, I have never eaten out of a bed pan, drank from a urinal yes but not a bedpan. I have also ridden on IV polls down the hall in a race.
All my patient are always well care for. You just gotta lighten it up sometimes.
I hope all goes well on your weekend. I had suck a busy day yesterday that they first time I had a chance to pee was 2pm and I started at 7am. Thank goodness for the nurses bladder.
About your request... I will e-mail you. I am brave enough ;)

oº˚ Homeschool Mom˚ºo said...

Love the pictures -- That was funny! Hope you nights go well! Thanks for sharing -- Much Love --

Anissa

Leiann said...

Oh, how I miss the days of working the night shift. I used to work as a CNA at a nursing home and then a hospital. I loved working the late shift because you could act goofy and play (because the bosses weren't there). Love your sense of humor. I forget sometimes that gross things do bother other people though. They aren't always funny to everyone!

Kimmie said...

You won my blog candy... please send me your mailing address.

Big Toe Mom said...

i would want to make sure i saw you take your serving dishes out of the dishwasher, but i would come to any party you throw!!
have a great day at work. thanks you for all your Hard work.

Michelle said...

Hey, you won!!!! Can you believe it!! That's great.

Anonymous said...

I have such respect for nurses. Seems to me they do all the hard work and get none of the glory. No one should fault you for needing to blow off a little steam at work. Hope your weekend wasn't too rough:)

HiHoOhio said...

too funny, love the bedpan!
thanks for doing what you do, all of you. I admire you so very much.

♥ Becky ♥ said...

How awesome to work with great people. The common folk don't always appreciate what the medical personnel do and how hard it is.

I give you props for being the great nurse that you are!!!! And it's great that you can fun with it too.

Anonymous said...

Those chicken wings were awesome...we should have another party...maybe this time, we can call it "heather" fest. I love night shift, especially when I work with the best preceptor...