Monday, June 20, 2011

A much needed vacation...

Over the past several months, I have worked and studied until I couldn't work or study anymore.  I ended up with a B in Nursing Research and Theory, which bummed me out for a second; then I packed the kids and our bags into my van and drove up north to the lakeside town of Frankfort, Michigan.

It was a much needed break from the fast-paced life we'd been living...we stayed with friends and had the time of our life.

We visited art galleries and craft fairs and the local Solstice festival (which was QUITE the experience).

 We had fun at the beach (even though the water in Lake Michigan was FREEZING).
Emily and Isabel got along famously!
 We enjoyed the beautiful weather...60's to 70's every single day.


Sometimes we ate at the local restaurants, sometimes we stayed in our "Birdhouse" and cooked...



Remember, I said it was an "artsy" town.  The kids LOVED the mermaid :)


I held the sunset in the palm of my hand.


And then captured at least one hundred shots of that same sunset on my camera...


We had many firsts:  boating, kayaking, fishing, water trampolining...




and even fireworks right on the beach.


Watch out for the "Fancy Locomotive"!

The little lighthouse in the bay made a great photo op...


Elijah turned thirteen while we were there, and celebrated with a steak dinner with his buddy, Sam.


These two girls are the next in line for teenager-hood...sigh.


Thanks so much to my sweet friend, Diane, for inviting us along on this trip and helping to make so many great memories for our family.


If only vacation could last just a little bit longer...


7 comments:

mep said...

Looks like it was an AMAZING week! I give you an A+ in making awesome memories with family and friends (the only course that really matters).

Rebecca Jo said...

Looks like a fabulous time! I'm jealous of those temps! Those kiddos of yours just keep growing!!!

Glad to see you back though...

(that picture of you holding the sunset is AWESOME!!!)

Suzann said...

I'm crazy jealous, but so happy that you had a fabulous time.

CaraBee said...

Aw, what a great trip! I've heard about some of those artsy Michigan towns. I think it's the long winters that bring out their creativity. The half naked mermaid would definitely have raised some eyebrows from my peeps, too.

Glad you had such a great time with friends and family. You deserve it!

BBB said...

Looks like you had a WONdERFUL time!!! You deserved and REMBMER that B's are ABOVE average!!!!

E... said...

Looks like a wonderful time. Gorgeous! How fun to have some time just for you and the kids. I could tell Joe really missed you all.

Dawn said...

I really love that picture of the sun. It's beautiful. Looks like it was a great vacation.