Thursday, May 19, 2011

A new love.

I recently discovered the joy of the "playaway" MP3 books at our library.

Pop in a AAA battery, plug in your earbuds, and listen away (makes the commute down to Cincinnati so much more enjoyable).

My favorite book so far has been "Water for Elephants".  I was determined to read the book before seeing the movie, but every copy was checked out, except for the playaway version.

This was, by far, one of the best narrated books I have ever listened to.  I was literally laughing out loud while driving down the highway, to the amusement of other drivers, I am sure.

And though I loved Robert Pattinson in the Twilight movies, I cannot wait to see how he portrays Jacob in this movie (ironic that his name is Jacob, isn't it?).

I have heard that there isn't as much chemistry between the two actors as there was in the book, but we all know the movie is never as good as the book, right?  I still want to see it, and compare the images in my head with those on the screen.



Do you enjoy listening to books on tape/CD/playaway?  Any favorites?  Another one of mine is "My Name is Memory"...very well narrated and an awesome love story.  I'm so ready to make my summer reading list, can you tell?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Harry Potter books are amazing on CD. And so are the JD Robb mysteries. Excellent narrators!

mep said...

I am OBSESSED with audiobooks. Absolutely cannot get enough. I usually listen to downloads from audible.com on my ipod, but in the past, I used to use books on tape and on CD with headsets. I think playaways are awesome, but my library does not seem to have a lot of them.

I love Pride and Prejudice narrated by Flo Gibson, pretty much anything narrated by Barbara Rosenblatt ... I'll have to get back to you with a more detailed list.

CaraBee said...

I've never listened to an audiobook. I wish I had given it a try during my working days when I was commuting an hour or more each way every day. These days I enjoy the quiet of reading too much. But maybe for our next big road trip, we'll get a book or two.

I loved Water For Elephants but I have zero interest in seeing the movie. Robert Pattinson was pretty much the dealbreaker for me. I know there are a legion of Twihards that think he's the cat's meow but he leaves me cold. I really wish they had gone with a young unknown for the role of Jacob. Sigh.

Suzann said...

I'm so excited that you wrote about this. I have been wanting to start listening to books on tape during my drive to and from work. AND Water for Elephants is on my TBR list, so thank you!!!!! You have inspired me to get my butt to the library this weekend.

E... said...

Audiobooks are the reason my kids watch the DVD player pretty much anytime we are in the car. Like you, I started with the playaways, but then convinced J. this is why I really needed an ipod. Now I'm always either listening to a book or a podcast as I drive around town. I also listened to a good chunk of a book while I was working on stripping wallpaper!
I survived my commute from Cinci to Oxford during grad school with books on TAPE in my beat up old Jeep Cherokee. So many wonderful reads.
The Passage kept me occupied for several months in the fall. I have heard The Help is wonderful in audio version. I also LOVED the audio version of The Hunger Games. Nevada Barr's Anna Pigeon series are narrated by Barbara Rosenblatt and are excellent. Another all time fave was a rec from mep: Free Food for Millionaires.

stephanie said...

keep those reading suggestions coming! we have similar taste. :)

brainella said...

I like audio books when I'm doing a lot of editing at work. Helps keep my mind from wandering and me falling asleep. Editing bibligraphic records is horribly tedious. :-)

I listened to Jackdaws by Ken Follett. It's a story of the women in the French Resistance during WWII. Very good story.