I got my love of reading from my parents, especially my dad. We loved a lot of the same authors (Dean Koontz, John Sandford, Nevada Barr) but none more than Stephen King. We would discuss the merits of The Stand or The Shining; we watched Christine and Cat's Eye together at the theater; Dad marveled at the fact that I got to stand outside of Stephen's house in Maine on a vacation I took after I graduated high school.
I've been fairly disappointed in the last few books that he has published...they lacked the character development and serious scary-ness that I had come to love. Under the Dome was not great, just okay, and I really thought maybe he had used up all of his good ideas.
Until now.
I am almost halfway through his new book, listening to it on CD while I scrapbook. Oh.My.Word. I listen to it in my craft room, then I take it in my van and listen to it while I drive to/from work. I literally sat in Target parking lot and SOBBED at certain parts...it's that good.
There's not too much scary in it, but lots of freaky. References to a previous book (IT), time travel, amazing characters that you love by the second chapter...I can't say enough about what an engrossing read it is. I think about what's happening to the characters when I'm not listening to the book, like they're living people. I love when an author makes that happen!
Over and over again, I have wanted to talk to my dad about this book. He would've loved it, too...and it makes me wonder if maybe he already is; curled up in a big cozy library in Heaven, having a good old time and thinking that this is a book that we'll have to discuss when I get to where he is...

5 comments:
You totally have me intrigued now!!!
True Face: I've only read one Stephen King book in my life... "The Langoliers" or something like that??? I want to check this out though. The whole Kennedy thing grabs me... America's Royalty - right?
I still cry about JFK Jr :(
I haven't read any of King's books.
But a few months ago, EW printed an excerpt of this book and I was hooked after just a few sentences. I've added it to my "to read" list.
I DIG him in a big way. I like Under the Dome okay. I haven't read Bag of Bones yet, so I don't want to watch the movie until I do. I am going to put this book on my list of books to read.
Had my hands on it. Retured it to the library. Spending my reading time on photo and camera books! Will put it on my Kindle summer reading list since the 2nd Fall of Giants wont be out until September. I liked Under the Dome. And Duma Key, did you read that one?
I used one of my Audible.com monthly credits on it, but haven't started listening yet. I think it will be my first listen of 2012!!
I love the image of your dad cozied up in a heavenly library, enjoying the book. How wonderful that you two shared a loved of reading.
Post a Comment