Friday, September 9, 2011

Plans

I have a month-long break from my BSN program, which is already halfway over (I start classes on the 27th).

When the break began at the end of August, I had BIG PLANS to get my kitchen, my house, my life organized.  With the kids being back in school, I would have all sorts of time on my hands to get back into a regular exercise routine, plan an assortment of delicious home-cooked meals, dry my herbs in the garden, catch up on my scrapbooking, learn a new language...you get the idea.

So far, I have run around the block a couple of times, cooked a few meals, read a couple of good books, and thought about doing the rest.

Instead, I have reveled in the silence of my house once the kids are on the bus.  I have had breakfasts and lunches with friends, got hired to help a friend with her wedding invitations, surfed the blogs and facebook posts of more friends...you get the idea:  clearly, I missed my friends!  All of the time I have spent this past two years working and going to school has deprived me of what I love most:  connecting with friends, family and my kids.

Rather than feel guilty of all that I am not accomplishing, I'm just going to enjoy these next two weeks.  The weather here is cool and fall-ish, and perfect for curling up with my laptop or a good book.  I have lots of volunteering to do at Gabe's school, and a levy to support for our entire community, and 120 wedding invitations to make for a winter wedding.  That other stuff can wait til March, when I will be finished with school for good!

Do you make to-do lists?  Do you finish them?  What book are you reading?

6 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

I NEVER finish a list :) Life always gets in the way it seems.

Just enjoy these 2 weeks - you deserve rest, relaxing & taking it easy. The other stuff will always be there for whenever you can get around to it :)

Becky said...

With all your running around for school, I think it's great you are taking this brief time off to do JUST what it is you are doing. Sounds to me like you already have the "Real" to do list in your hand. That other one can wait :)

I am in awe of you as always with your work and family, but throw school in the mix and I just am amazed. I think if you did nothing for 2 weeks but sleep it would be well deserved. Lol~but YOU are making a zillion wedding invitations!!! :)

Good to hear you are fighting for the levy. Not sure what we are going to do about this one! I am so sad if this fails..

I am JUST now noticing Joe's link...I know he did the kids bathroom, but is he doing this full time now?? WOW! What about teaching??

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

I agree with Becky! I am in awe of you as well.

I do make to-do list. There is just such great satisfaction when crossing out that chore you just completed!

Yes, I usually always complete my lists. There have been times when I'll finish a list, except leave one or two things undone and I then add it to the next list.

I am currently reading "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak I highly recommend it!! SO GOOD!

Good luck with all those invitations...whew!

brainella said...

Do you make to-do lists? Um...yeah. Actually, I make multiple lists. It's kind of scary. And I'm not an organized person. I just know that if I don't write it down, it won't occur.

Do you finish them? Sometimes. Mostly I just transfer them to new lists. :)

What book are you reading? I'm reading two. A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness and The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley. I'm early on in both books but I have a hard time choosing which one to pick back up. Today Winter Sea is winning.:-)

Enjoy your time! It's really the only thing you get ALL to yourself. And as a mother and a nurse, you don't get anywhere NEAR enough! :)

mep said...

I think your instinct to just enjoy and recharge is the best one! March will be here before you know it and you can become SuperWoman then (like you're not already!!!).

I do make lists, but not now, as I have so many things to do that really making a list is too overwhelming.

I just finished a great book about motherhood called Planting Dandelions by blogger Kyran Pittman.

Anonymous said...

I just splurged and downloaded the last book in a cheesy romance series I've been reading. I figured since I spend so much time doing nothing except resting my leg these days, I ought to be reading what I want. Okay, that was totally a justification for spending the money, but I am going to enjoy the heck out of that book. =>

Enjoy your down time! You deserve it. And I can't wait to see the invitations you're working on. Do you think your friend would let us have a sneak peak?