Sunday, January 9, 2011

Proud Mommy Moment

It wasn't that long ago that Elijah started playing basketball and Gabe had to tag along to every game.

Now, after years of waiting (not so patiently), it's finally his turn.

Saturday was Gabe's very first basketball game.  It was quite the family affair, with Joe coaching, Elijah refereeing and Isabel and me cheering.

Although he didn't get any slam dunks (much to his chagrin), he did score four points and did an amazing job at both offense and defense.  I had this image of both kindergarten teams just standing there, not knowing what to do, but we were all pleasantly surprised at how well they actually played the game.  It was adorable!

I wish I had a video of Gabe jumping up and down, guarding his "man" (who was sometimes a girl), calling out, "I'm open, pass it to me!".  The lighting in the gym is not the best, so these pics will just have to do.  If you ever need to put a smile on your face, though, I strongly suggest watching a kindergarten basketball game :)


Gabe and his classmate, Cian

Striking a pose for Mom

The ref, explaining the rules

Elijah, the big brother ref (and some cheerleaders)

Coach Daddy/Joe, passing out game stars
Upward is an organization that emphasizes learning a sport in a Christian environment.  Every practice involves a scripture lesson, and after each game, the boys are given special stars according to best effort, best defense, best offense, most Christ-like and best sportsmanship.  The boys all made it through the game without tears, without a fight and with a good attitude the whole time.  Joe did a great job as coach, keeping a smile on his face and encouraging the little guys on a game well-played.  Saturday mornings are going to be a blast for the next two months, for sure!

7 comments:

Hot Tub Lizzy said...

Awwww - sounds like a great organization! And he is such a HAM!!!!

One of these days I'd like to get the girls involved in something.

Rebecca Jo said...

I love that they tie scripture into the games... AWESOME!!! What a great time it'll be to spend with those boys.

Suzann said...

I remember all those basketball games!! How fun and exciting. Give G-Man a big high five from me.

Shannon said...

My 6-yr old nephew just had his first basketball game last night... unfortunately I didn't go, but my sister-in-law said it was adorable and funny to watch! Hopefully I'll make it to one of his games.

mep said...

Way to go, Gabe! All you need is a trip to Cracker Barrel after the morning games to make every Saturday the best ever!

My five year-old plays in the "Biddy Basketball" league at our church. Watching is comical. And adorable.

Angie's Spot said...

Too cute! I can't even imagine how adorable Kindergarten b-ball must be. I'm trying to imagine my Kindergartener out there. LOL!

Melissa said...

Awwwwww!!!! I love that he is playing Upwards. I wish we had it here.