Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I remember when I was eleven...

It's a very strange feeling when your kids get to be an age that you yourself remember being...

I distinctly remember when I was eleven.  The drama, the friends, the hormones, the (ahem) growing pains.

Today, the baby girl we welcomed into the world at the time of Y2K (remember that one?) is eleven years old.

Isabel grows more beautiful every day, and she does not yet suffer from the preteen angst that I recall from my youth.  (I did say "yet").  Look at how cute she was, just ten years ago:

Check out those mad scrapbooking skills...oh, my word.
Having a birthday so close to Christmas might be a challenge for some kids, but Isabel has taken it in stride.  She has a great family and lots of friends who make every effort to separate her special day from Jesus' special day.

This past weekend, we celebrated with her choice of a party:  at the local dive, I mean, skating rink.  There were rented skates, skinny jeans, and fashionable hairstyles.


And yes, they still do the Hokey-Pokey.


We had Cake Pops (check back tomorrow for the recipe).


And a special Raspberry Bismarck cupcake for the birthday girl herself.


She didn't even mind that the moms skated, too!


I love that Joe joined in on the fun, and even her brothers!




Since today is her actual birthday, we are celebrating yet again, with family gifts and dinner at the place of her choice (she's thinking Olive Garden).  I'm looking forward to another great year with this amazing daughter of mine!

4 comments:

Betty said...

Looks like a great time was had by all! She really is a beauty!! Happy Birthday, Isabel.

Rebecca Jo said...

WOW... Y2K... that was a flashback!!!

Your girl just makes me smile even more - a SKATING PARTY??? WHOO HOOO!!! You know we're a "skating family" so I love when others get out on that floor... Tell me you boogied down to "Atomic Dog" :)

Happy Birthday to your beautiful daughter!

Jen said...

What a great way to celebrate a birthday. :)

Hot Tub Lizzy said...

It IS weird having them be an age you remember being. I also am not too fond of being an age I remember my mom being...

I hope you have a WONDERFUL day celebrating!!!