Thursday, March 19, 2009

Slow down.

My friend, Catherine, wrote a post yesterday that got me thinking...

Are you a Martha or a Mary?

Are you the type of person who always has to be busy, thinking you are serving the Lord but not really taking the time to appreciate all He has blessed you with?

Or are you able to sit down, take a breath, and truly enjoy the time He has given you on this earth?

I strive to be a Mary, but I often find myself being a Martha. Running from here to there, tending to kids, working, and squeezing time for the Lord in between all of that. When really, He should be first, and the rest would fall into place with ease and purpose.

Easier said than done, right?

With the weather being so warm and sunny today, I made myself sit and enjoy it. When there were about a hundred tasks I could be doing. Instead, I soaked up some rays on my deck, taking time to notice the plants and flowers coming back to life all around me. Reflecting on the hundreds of happy days and moments I have had, not even thinking of the not-so-great ones at all. Wondering at how quickly the time passes (already time to go get Gabe from preschool and go to the store and get dinner started...), not only that one hour I had to myself, but life in general.

It seems like these moments were just yesterday:







But really, they were a few years ago.


Today I am trying to be a Mary.
Which one are you?


(Go visit Catherine's blog for the verses about these two women).

13 comments:

Michelle said...

Too busy to figure out which one. I didn't stop until 9pm last night. I will let you know on Sunday when I have a minute to sit and think about it. lol

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

Like you I try to be Mary but tend to be Martha most of the time.

I would love to stay a Mary everyday!!

Jen said...

Great minds to think alike. I really try to be the kind of mom/woman that slows down and enjoys life. If being a nurse has taught me anything, its that life can change in a heart beat.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Oh, I am such a Martha. And not in a Martha Stewart way :-)

I always have something going on...but striving to live in the moment...ugh...I am sooo bad at that!

Jenny and the Princess Peonies said...

I would love to be a Mary. I am better at it than I used to be. But I am am definatley a Martha.

BBB said...

I'm a me... a little of both....

MarciaBrady said...

Well, I think most of the time I maintain a good Mary. I don't like being hurried and rushed through everything, although, there definitely are times I'm a Martha. I would much rather enjoy my life than rush through it!

Great post!! We all need to slow down and enjoy life!

Suzann said...

I would love to be more like Mary, but I tend to be most like Martha. Great thought inspiring post!

Lula! said...

I am Mary Martha...easily both, wanting to be more like Mary, usually ending up exactly like Martha.

It's the story of my life...

Love this post, my friend!

Lula! said...

I am Mary Martha...easily both, wanting to be more like Mary, usually ending up exactly like Martha.

It's the story of my life...

Love this post, my friend!

"The Queen in Residence" said...

Look at those sweet faces. I cannot believe how cute they are!!!

Sorry, I think that I am more a nuerotic version of martha but I know that I need to be more a Mary. I love that reminder, are we filling our time with important things or merely things that help nothing? Great reminder.

ChicagoLady said...

I'm probably too little of either. I'm not one who's busy busy busy, but then I also don't just take the time to appreciate everything around me. I'll need to work on being more Mary this summer.

HiHoOhio said...

thanks for the shout out and link. I have not blogged in a week and now leave in three hours. Talk upon my reutrn....see you at book group!