It's official.
I am a runner.
Today I ran in (and finished) my very first race.
There were 1718 runners, 859 of those being women.
I was number 376 of the women (that's the top half, oh yeah!).
Despite the rain, the blustery wind, and the chilly temps.
Despite the fact that almost all of the other runners on our team didn't show up, due to said weather.
Thank God for Aly, my running partner in this race. We ran a steady 10 minute/mile pace, finishing in 32:07 minutes. Up three hills. Against the wind. Did I mention it was raining? Yeah, that part pretty much sucked.
Kudos to Kelly, our co-worker who finished in under 29 minutes (on her 38th birthday, at that). And Lindsay, who stuck it out and ran in the 15K (this girl has even run in the Flying Pig marathon!).
The best part for me? (Other than actually surviving the race...)
When I came home, wearing my medal around my neck, hearing Gabe say:
"When I get bigger, I'm gonna be a runner and get a medal, too, Mommy, like you."

Thanks to every single person (family and friends) who gave me their unconditional support. Even though you couldn't be on the sidelines cheering me on, I felt your prayers and well-wishes just the same.
Now to start training for the Flying Pig Relay in May (six miles this time :)...
24 comments:
Awesome! Good for you. I have always wanted to be a runner.....
Congratulations!! I am so proud of you!
My mom and I tried to walk the YMe walk last Mother's day. The conditions were the same as yours. They shut it down when we were half way through.
YOU DID IT!!!! YOU DID IT!!!!
I'm so proud of you! Seriously, I want to be like you when I grow up.
You deserve to relax now...and sleep for at least 2 days. You have my permission. Go. Now.
LOVE YOU!!!!
xoxo
WAY TO GO, HEATHER!!!!!
That is something to be proud of!
You inspire me.....makes me want to train and do one of the races here in Little Rock.
10 minute miles....you go girl!!
Yo just inspired me to get off my slowing-getting-larger but start running again!
Congrats, You Go Girl!!
I'm TOTALLY impressed.
Not jealous at all.
But HIGHLY impressed.
YOU GO GIRL!!!
Congratulations!!! Good job sticking to it!
You ROCK Chicka!!!!
Congratulations! That is quite an accomplishment in your first race?
What are the Flying Pig Marathon and Flying Pig Relay?
I am so proud of you!! Woot Woot!!!
You are wonderful, a great wife, a fantastic mother, a caring nurse and an awesome daughter. You can always do anything you set your mind on. Your dad would be so proud as I am. I love you. Mom
GREAT JOB!!!!!!
Congratulations on your success. I'm feeling proud of you.
And Gabe is such a sweetie.
Train hard and enjoy.
Congrats and job well done. Nothing like crossing your first finish line, is there?
You are OFFICIALLY my hero!!!
What an awesome sense of accomplishment you must feel? You're my hero. I get winded walking to the fridge. That's just terrible.
You go girl!
Way to go lady!!! I am so proud of you for sticking it out!!!♥♥
Thanks for your kind words on my site. I had a truly awful experience on my last clinical at the long-term care facility. I came home really questioning my decision to pursue this. I was not in the wrong but the callousness of the staff made me so angry and the Director that my instructor told me to report the incident to attacked me, accusing me of putting this patient in danger. Anyway, I was livid!!!! I am hoping that this saturday when I am at the hospital that it will be a better experience.
Congratulations, runner!!! Great accomplishment!
Wow. Color me impressed. Very impressed. I struggle with walking up the hill to get the mail...
Wow! Way to go, girl! :)
Yeah!! You're a beast. I really did think about how cool it would have been if I could have been there to cheer you on at the finish line, but yeah, it was too cold for me. Maybe for the flying pig!!
I am so proud of you Heather
Can't wait to hear all about it when we return, tomorrow! Hugs from Texas
Post a Comment