Monday, June 23, 2008

Cincinnati Zoo!

For Elijah's actual birthday last week, we went to the Cincinnati Zoo with my sister, Rhonda, and her two babies, Katlyn and Kylee. Since I have about a hundred pictures of the monkeys and the elephants, I tried to focus on taking pictures of the kids this year. We were blessed to run into someone who gave us four free tickets on their way out of the zoo (God Love West Virginians!), which more than made up for a full parking lot and thousands of other people who thought a day at the zoo was a great idea. The weather was perfect...75 degrees and partly sunny, with a brief thunderstorm in the afternoon (we hid out in the bug house). These are some of my favorite pics of the day...



The zoo just opened a new giraffe exhibit this year, where you can be on a raised walkway on a level with their heads, and eventually be able to feed them. Right now, the giraffes aren't used to being so close to humans (i.e. groping hands of toddlers and screams of preschoolers)...they are hoping by fall, they will be acclimated and will eat right out of your hand! We may have to make another visit then.

I loved this one of Gabe holding Kylee's hand...it was even his idea!


My sweet big sis and her baby girl...



Katlyn and Gabe are only 14 months apart, and they usually have a great time together.




Inside our refuge from the storm, the bug house. Right behind us are the leaf-cutter ants. Gabe's favorite...the cicada display (imagine that!).



Wresting the crocodile outside of Manatee Springs. Don't you love Elijah's hairdo (after getting blasted by the water misters)?



My favorite exhibit, handsdown, is the polar bear. You can see them walking around the rocks on top, then race down below and watch them swim right past you...too cool. I bet we spent the majority of our time here (besides the restrooms). One funny story: I wanted Gabe to try to poop before we went to the zoo, explaining to him that the bathrooms at the zoo were so stinky. He said, "those animals poop in those potties there?". I could just imagine what he was envisioning, sharing the toilet with a monkey or an elephant! I love how their little minds work.



After walking what felt like ten miles, we were all pretty tuckered out. Gabe tried to be a good brother and push Elijah in the stroller...he could only manage pushing him around in circles. All in all, it was a great day, and the kids had a terrific time.


Now for the next summer adventure...









No comments: