Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Perspective

Lately, I have been bogged down by never-ending to-do lists, a tough quarter at school, working too many night shifts, not getting enough sleep...all of which has given me a bad case of Eeyore-style gloom.

I've had a horrible headache on and off for the past two days (stress and barometric changes, go away!).

I woke up at 2:30am to a clap of lightning that shook the whole house and reverberated through my tender skull, ensuring that sleep would be elusive for the rest of the night.

I had to drive Isabel to band practice at 7:30am, in the storm, with my head throbbing to the beat of the windshield wipers.

Can you hear the gloominess?

However, on the way home from her school, I took the scenic route through the historic part of town.  Not much traffic, lots of old houses with gorgeous spring gardens, the rain slowing to a drizzle that brought out the green lawns and the bright colors of the tulips, daffodils and weeping cherry trees lining the street.  I thought about blessed we are to live in such a great town, with good schools and awesome people and hundreds of opportunities for our family.

At that moment, God opened my eyes to a new perspective.

The rain will nourish my flowers, making for a beautiful garden.

Having ten minutes alone with Isabel in the morning is a gift, even if we're just singing along to Sugarland's "Stuck like Glue" (we love that catchy song!).

When ten kids who aren't even mine are shouting and jumping and running through our yard, I know that I am blessed that my own kids make friends so easily.

When I complain about the amount of homework this professor is assigning, I know that I am blessed to be going to college on my employer's dime.

When I am exhausted from working nights, I know that this sacrifice enables me to spend more time with my kids.  They will not be little for much longer, and I will have time to catch up on all that sleep I am missing.

When I worry about Joe quitting his stable job, I know that I am blessed to have a husband who has a dream and is willing to work hard to chase it.

When I miss my dad, and wish that he were still here to watch Elijah's ballgames and fuss over their excellent report cards, I know that having my mom close by is a blessing.

I am shaking off the gloom of the past month and embracing this new perspective.  How about you?

6 comments:

brainella said...

You are an inspiration. :-) I wish I wasn't so cynical all the time -- I'm working on it, but sometimes it does not occur.

Thank you for the reminder about life and living. :)

Jen said...

Thank you for giving me some perspective today.

Rebecca Jo said...

Been missing you on here...

Its crazy how we have those roller coaster of emotions... but you are so right - its finding the blessing in things when we can choose to not look for them. Perspective is huge!!!

Suzann said...

I am trying to live with that blessed feeling. TRYING. You are absolutely right too. Life is better when we acknowledge our blessings. Thanks for making my heart smile today.

mep said...

I've been cranky and tired and annoyed by the weather this April, for sure, but I've also had a couple of things recently that have put my own worries and annoyances in perspective. I am trying to maintain that perspective and the gratitude it inspires. My go-to phrase for this is: Thank you for my life exactly as it is.

Thanks for your inspiring post and hope the sun shines soon (literally and figuratively).

Hot Tub Lizzy said...

Great thoughts sweetie - there's been a couple times where i've gotten a good case of the gloomies going lately (no job, other stuff) but gosh darn it... I've got 2 beautiful girls, I live in a place where it's NOT snowing, I am in love with a man who loves me in a way I never ever thought i would be loved, I have wonderful friends. SO much to be thankful for.

All about perspective isn't it?