Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Surprise! A Series...

(Part One)

Since the beginning of this month, I have been working extra hours at the hospital like a crazy woman.

I wasn't really crazy, just money-hungry.

I was working toward a goal.

Joe scored a great deal on a Florida vacation months ago, and we decided to make it a surprise for the kids.

Somehow, we made it to the day of departure without them finding out.

Joe pulled into the driveway in a rental van (part of the deal) and announced to Elijah and Isabel and Gabe that they needed to pack their bags...we were headed to the Sunshine State!

None of them knew what the Sunshine State was, so he had to tell them...

After they picked their jaws up off the floor, they ran in to wake me up (I had worked the night before).  We packed up and headed 926 miles down I-75 South.  First stop, Orlando.

(Side note:  Isabel admitted that when Dad told them he had a surprise, she was really hoping for a pregnancy announcement, along with a baby sister.  Um, sorry, Isabel, but you are my one and only baby girl, forever and ever, amen.  I thought it was so sweet, though.)

8 comments:

"The Queen in Residence" said...

I hope that you have a wonderful time and do not answer your phone on vacation...it might be work calling.

Jen said...

Oh how fun. I can't wait to read more about it. :)

CaraBee said...

I just love that you guys kept this a surprise for them. Can't wait to hear about the trip!

brainella said...

Oh yay! How fun. I'm jealous. :) Have a fantastic time!

Rebecca Jo said...

How cool you kept it a surprise for the kids!!!

And sweet Isabel... that's so cute... probably made you gasp a bit though at that idea! :)

Melissa said...

Did you get it on camera? I will regret for a long time that we didn't get a chance to see you all. GRRRRR!
I can't wait to hear your tales of adventure!

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

How cool! I love that Joe told them to pack their bags! How exciting for them to find out that way!

I can't wait to hear all about it...& to see pictures! :)

mep said...

My parents used to surprise us with special stuff too -- an evening trip to Kings Island, a visit to Chuck E. Cheese when we thought we were going to look at carpet, a trip to Chicago to see my cousins. I have WONDERFUL memories of being surprised like that!

A surprise visit to the sunshine state sounds like the ultimate memory! What lucky kids you have!