Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A little spark

"It's too cold."

"The roads are too bad."

"There are too many germs in the Childwatch center this time of year."

"One more cookie can't hurt."

All things I told myself this past winter.  Combine that with going back to school and still working two nights a week, and you can see why I added the equivalent of this:


to my total body weight.

Yuck.

Since the weather has turned, I have been more active and going to the Y a bit more.  However, that ten pounds is stubborn and hasn't budged AT ALL.

So when this book started calling my name at my last library visit, I listened.  And read.  And got hooked.


The author and founder of Sparkpeople.com is from Cincinnati, and used to work at P&G.  His story is fascinating.  And he has such an inspiring way about him.  

I convinced my mother in law to start the Spark with me.  Isabel is our cheerleader, and I hope to get Joe on board, too.

A positive, encouraging weight-loss program, designed to get you motivated, healthier and more fit.  And then when you reach your goals, and people around you ask what you've been doing, you spread the Spark.

No special foods to buy.  No extreme workouts to do.  Just common sense stuff (drink 8 cups of water, exercise for at least 10 minutes EVERY DAY, eat more fresh fruit and veggies) with an online system that helps you track your progress.

Last night, I walked 2.7 miles with Kay and Isabel, up and down hills and all through our neighborhood.  On April 24th, Isabel and I are running in a 5K race at the YMCA.

Those potatoes are history!

Anyone else heard of Sparkpeople?  Do you need a little Spark in your life?  Go get the book and check out the website.  I promise you'll be inspired, too!

11 comments:

brainella said...

Good for you! I'm impressed; I need to kick it into gear. Actually what I need to do is go to bed earlier and get up early to exercise. Think that will happen? :)

Rebecca Jo said...

I love a basic, simple plan... nothing extreme...

Good for you for having the family try & get in this with you!

I love the web site... I'm gonna have to check out the book.

Melissa said...

I so need this since I have about 5 10 lb. bags of potatoes to lose before I go the beach with you...in June. Can I get set on fire instead of just a spark?

mep said...

Ah perfect timing! In a month or so, I'll be ready to get (semi) serious about figuring out what to do about this baby weight. I could use a SPARK of inspiration!

Good luck mashing those potatoes!

CaraBee said...

Oh girl, do I need a spark. I'm still working out like crazy, but the pounds have stopped coming off and I know the answer is that I need to cut my calories more and that I just do not want to do. Surprise. Not. I'll check out this book.

Natalie said...

Oh my word - I am SO doing this!!!! I need something to get the last 15 pounds of weight off. I'm going to get it this week and get started! Thanks for introducing me!

Natalie at Mommy on Fire
http://www.mommyonfire.com

Kay Kelsey said...

I'm keeping a journal- a truthful journal, and I'm tracking my streaks! Baby steps!

Angie's Spot said...

Sparkpeople is a truly wonderful website! It's great for common sense weight loss and encouragement, but I especially love the accountability factor. Congrats on your progress and goals and I can't wait to hear about the 5k! I signed up to run one in January at Disney World. It'll be my first one!

Suzann said...

Never heard of it, but it sounds kick-butt!
You go girlie!!!

VKT said...

Dear Heather,

That visual is so impressive. And to think I need to lose 20 pounds....yuckkkkkkkkkk.....I am definitely going to give it a try. I am also making a copy of your post today so that every time I am tempted to taste a reese's cup, I will look at that sack of potatoes.

stephanie said...

awesome, heather!

very motivating. makes me think about throwing away all that easter chocolate so i'm not tempted anymore.

but that does feel pretty drastic...