Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Row, row, row your boat...

How do you entertain three cooped-up kids on their umpteenth snow day this winter?

Take them sailing, of course!

Gabe and I have made paper sailboats before, last summer. Something reminded him, though, and he wanted to do it again. At first, I was like...honey, it's just too cold to sail a boat. But when I saw that the creek out back wasn't frozen, I changed my tune.

So we set to work, Gabe and I. He picked out the paper, I printed out the instructions (again...memory loss sucks) and while I folded, he drew sailors and cut them out, then taped them to our boats.

Ta da!


The snow/sleet/ice was coming down as we headed out to the creek, so I left my camera indoors. Gabe, Isabel and I each picked a boat for our own, and watched as they raced down to the culvert in the neighbor's yard. Gabe's boat had the lead until the very end, when Isabel's caught up and won the race. Then we headed back in to warm up with some hot cocoa (although Gabe just likes the marshmallows).

Nothing like a little backyard regatta to spice up a snow day!

7 comments:

Jen said...

That is a great idea. I am thinking that we will be doing this this after noon.

Rebecca Jo said...

I love the people on the boat!!!!

Arizona Mamma said...

You're brave. I think I would have just filled the tub and let them play with the boats in there. It is raining here today and in the high 50's I'd guess. I'm so cold, and the thought of a creek in the middle of the snow, no thanks!

Thank you for visiting my blog today ;)

mep said...

I'm nominating you for mom of the year. Where did you find those folding instructions, in case I want to challenge you for the title . . .

Suzann said...

You rock mama!
I never would have thought of that and I sure as heck wouldn't know how to make a boat.

Angela said...

Awesome! I can imagine it is a challenge to entertain the kids when they are marooned indoors.

We finally got snow here, but it arrived yesterday (so no snow days for us!) It's warm enough out today to melt most of it pretty quickly, but it is beautiful while it lasts, and it was great snow. Fluffy and flaky. I got some cute pics of Pixie playing in it!

ChicagoLady said...

What a great idea, and a great way to spend some time with your kids being creative.